Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Creating a reading culture    

Creating a reading culture

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Creating a reading culture

Hi all. I teach in a boys � secondary school (age 11-18). We have been asked to brain storm on how to create a reading culture. Mmm - it �s not going to be easy! Any ideas? 

7 Sep 2014      

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I don �t know if I understand your question right, but in our school teachers have  such idea:
they ask children to make a reading diary. Every child choose a book he or she likes, reads it and writes in a diary some information: title, author and every day he writes how many pages he has read, he can write important events from the book too. A parent puts a signature to show that the child really has read it. Once a week or two a teacher checks the diaries. In the end of the term the teacher asks some children to tell the stories they �ve read.

7 Sep 2014     

EstherLee76
Peru

At our school (and most of the British Schools here in Peru) we do "Silent Reading".  We set aside a time every day where everyone, including the teacher, reads silently for pleasure.  It �s hardgoing at first but after a time, the students really learn to enjoy it.  Peru scores one of the lowest in Latin American in reading and reading comprehension, but this activity has really helped.

7 Sep 2014     

manonski (f)
Canada

Let them make their own choices as readers. Add a suggestion box of books/magazines they would like to have at school. If they really loved a book, have them make a wall of suggestions for the other students. And adults have to be a model too, like EstherLee wrote. What is the point of doing a reading period in the day when the teacher is marking papers? It �s not sending the message that reading is enjoyable.

We have themes in our school. On Halloween, we read under makeshift tents with flashlights, at Easter, kids have to find pieces of a story in Easter eggs and with partners, they have to replace it in order. When they are done, the principal comes to the classroom, sometimes dressed up as a rabbit, and they read their story to him.  In the coldest time of the year, we do beach reading. We dress up as if it is the middle of summer, bring our sunglasses, towels and beach music and we read, spread out every where in the school.

7 Sep 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Adding to the above ideas you could introduce a book club (as seen on TV ;-) P.s. glad to see you have a decent avatar again, Lynne :-) Cheers, Peter

8 Sep 2014     

florimago
Spain

what about a book exchange project? A reading habits survey?I can�t remember now if it was Holland or Germany now.. I was there last year and I was surprised... Public street library... Where you can take a book and leave another... No more compromise than that...

8 Sep 2014