Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IN or ON?    

IN or ON?

leanneboazman
Austria

Hi!
I �m British and would definitely say �The cat is in the tree � and not �The cat is on the tree �. In fact I have never heard �The cat is on the tree �. A cat could be sitting on a branch in a tree, but I �m faily sure it can �t be on a tree.
Maybe Americans say �on � but I �m doubtful.

Hope this helps.

13 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

You are native so yeah you must be right. Wink

IN would be more appropiate for sure. But Im sure either words would work though, at least in the States.

13 Feb 2009     

Lou2002
United Kingdom

I �m English too.  The cat is definitely �in � the tree!  Thumbs Up

13 Feb 2009     

Amanda W
Austria

Yes, in a tree, there �s no question about it.

13 Feb 2009     

sedefg�l
Turkey

Thanks a lot  friends!
It is very good to be sure about an unknown subject!!

13 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

No, not in the States either Melissa... a cat being on a tree means the cat is sitting on the very top, not sinking into any branches anywhere ever.... it almost has to be bigger than the tree....

A cat is in a tree... never on  - unless the mentioned tree is a bonsai!!  Tongue

13 Feb 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

dEAR zORA,

First of all Im glad you are back to the forums, we learn a lot from you always.

But I wouldnt be so radical about this. I �ve heard people say... � �the cat is on the tree � �, I �ve just asked the friends I have from the States, and they said that � �he cat is in the tree � is what they say and the propper one, but � �the cat is on the tree � � still not insane.

So yeap, whenever I �ll write that sentence I will write � �the cat is in the tree � though.

13 Feb 2009     

littlecityblue
France

Oooh, yes, in, most certainly not on.
Sara x

13 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

@ Melissa thank you for the welcome back... but I concur... I have family in Utah, Vegas, New Jersey, Connecticut and New York and I can assure you that they say "in the tree..." THOUGH you might be thinking "on a branch in the tree" which is quite different...

But if you don �t believe me ask Liberty - she �s from the US... 

13 Feb 2009     

Aliona R
Ukraine

Thanks a lot that you are talking about my worksheet. I had such problem too. But my friend(native speaker) sad the same "in the tree"

13 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >