Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > School banners    

School banners

mariannina
Italy

School banners

Good morning or afternoon...evening...night... o well, you chhose!Big smile
At school my colleagues are decorating corridors and classrooms with pictures, posters and banners.
My colleague who teaches English wants to write: A mosaic of opportunity", I �d prefer to write "A mosaic of opportunities", which one is morre correct? She says that the word "opportunity" might be written in the singular form, just like an uncountable noun. Is it correct? 
Thank you very much.
Mariannina

12 Sep 2014      

douglas
United States

both are okay -it can be used either way (kind of like "fruit")

12 Sep 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

She is correct, but so are you; opportunity can be used both as a countable and as an uncountable noun. With the mosaic analogy, she is looking at the entire picture and you are looking at the individual tiles. I actually prefer your interpretation and not because you post here and she doesn �t. Using the plural emphasizes that the opportunity for one student doesn �t have to be the same as the opportunity for another student. It will really come down to which of you feels the strongest about it.

12 Sep 2014     

mariannina
Italy

Thank you Douglas and MoodyMoody,  I feel relieved now!
Hugs and kisses.
Mariannina

12 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The guys are right, of course. Either of those is fine for the reasons they state. You could persuade your colleague to your point of view by saying that writing the plural demonstrates the spelling rule y>ies. 

12 Sep 2014     

mariannina
Italy

ThanksThumbs Up

12 Sep 2014