Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > New WOD    

New WOD

kingfant72
Japan

New WOD

Hey Marion, thanks for choosing me. Here �s a word that I have never used in my life, but I solemnly vow to use it with reckless abondon henceforth:

SLANGWHANGER

Make of it what you will.

12 Sep 2014      

MarionG
Netherlands

Isn �t that one of these old guys who thinks he �s cool when he uses slang, not realizing it makes him sound like an even bigger idiot?

13 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Slangwhanger, not surprisingly, used to be a slang word - there is a clue there in the word itself! 
In Britain during the 1930s, there was a huge increase in publications: newspapers, magazines, revues; all proliferated. Regional dialects and slang words were discouraged and the use of the King �s English was deemed of the highest importance. Slangwhanger was then adopted into the mainstream language. It is a profession: a slangwhanger �s job is to scour the newspapers and rout out any regional words or slang. I actually met The Slangwhanger General himself recently. I enjoy a bit of slangwhanging myself, as any of my friends would confirm, although not in any professional capacity.

13 Sep 2014     

florimago
Spain

Slangwhanger is the kind a person who doesn�t understand slang expressions (SLANG- WHA (For WHAt did you say )

13 Sep 2014     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

SLANGWHANGER= people who are extremely sensitive to the use of slang. So their reaction is usually negative "anger".

13 Sep 2014