Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > SOS!!! please I need help with 3-5 years old!!    

SOS!!! please I need help with 3-5 years old!!

navarrovizcaino
Spain

SOS!!! please I need help with 3-5 years old!!

Hello... and thanks in advance!!!

Im a secondary teacher and I have plenty of experience with teenagers and adults however I just found a new job where I was asked to teach 3-5!!! obviously I said YES... as I really need the job.. But I have no idea how to do it... where to start how to plan... I feel completely lost..

my students will be in contact with english for the first time... and i cant use the mother tongue (Spanish) as all the teacher at the school are native english speakers, I am the only spanish there, so i dont think it would be right or i would be allowed to use my language....i never used it with my secondary classes... but i have no idea how these children will understand me...

I know about the routine, the use of songs, puppets and all that... bue my problem is the planning... what should they learn?? they cant read or write so it will be oral... OMG im terrified!!! :-( :-( 

any help???

13 Sep 2014      

Karen Lo
Malaysia

hello there, 
 I think u need to enter the class and see the set of students that you are facing first, their proficiency level, interest and the problems they are facing in learning the language before you can determine what approach you want to take to help them. I hope I�ve helped. All the best with your class.

13 Sep 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi ,

I hope you are fine.

My daughter and I prepared about 10 years ago a lesson plan for very young children. Check it out, if you are interested, give me your e-mail address and I �ll send it to you. You don �t need to loose points. Unfortunatly, my daughter delated half of the lesson plan because she thought it was old fashioned, but perhaps the part I have got can get you started.

Silvia

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=99801#thetop

13 Sep 2014     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Hello there :-)

I think I understand you well. :-) I was also scared at the beginning of teaching 3 and 4 year old kids.
I use stories  that go with flashcards and songs. The stories have simple and repetitive language. I use games and flashcards to introduce the vocabulary . the kids love it when we change the speed of activities ( slowly and quickly). and the first post -story activity is usually energetic :-).
Little kids need a lot of repetition as they forget  new vocabulary quickly   ;-)

I hope it helped a bit.

Take care,
Ewelina

13 Sep 2014     

navarrovizcaino
Spain

thanks everyone!!!! 

13 Sep 2014     

nursenatelci
Turkey

Hii there:)
Im in the same mood. Im so scared like u. This panic kills me as metaphorically:) I need help. I know something but I havent a plan for the beginning. What should I do? I hope all of us will do it easiliy. Good luck everyone. Thanks for helping from now on.

13 Sep 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

As Ewelina said: songs, games and lots of flash cards and other regalia, and even more repetition. My tip: Check out Shelley Ann Vernon on the web. She has created beautiful materials for all ages, but especially little ones. It may cost you a few dollars, but it �s certainly worth it, and you can repeat everything with a different game, song etcetera. And relax. Children of all ages who can �t speak English are hard to teach in the beginning. By the way, I �ve learned quite a few words in five different languages to help my adult students to understand me. So what �s wrong with using the odd Spanish word? And as kiddies can be a handful, make sure it �s all good fun! Take heart. Peter.

13 Sep 2014     

Lubova_63
Latvia

I can send you an approximate plan I have created for Latvian teachers. You can even work WITHOUT any book. Songs, games, etc. Please, contact me.

14 Sep 2014     

an43
Spain

Tell them stories, there are lots with lots of activities and the stories can be adapted to every topic, ie The very hungry Caterpillar (food and days of the week), Little Red Riding hood (body parts),... They can act out the story and learn the sentences. Have a look at the story section esl printables and download it. Songs, action songs. Memory games, dominoes, What time is it, Mr monster? games, ... Teach vocabulary through flashcards games (what �s missing, guess , true or false,...)

14 Sep 2014     

an43
Spain

I am a secondary teacher too, but I currently teach preschool and primary children and I enjoy much more as I have lots of resources and games, repetitive stories where there is a sentence to learn, (kizclub.com , makingenglishfun, you can find resources).

14 Sep 2014     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Peter Hardy is right . I use Shelley Vernon`s stories, flashcards, games. songs and plays. (www.teachingenglishgames.com)
A while ago (six or seven years ago) I was searching The Internet and bookshops to find good stories and short plays and skits  for ESL students. She was the only one at that time ,I guess , offering this kind of resources. The good thing is that the stories and plays can be easily adapted to your students needs and language level. 
I live in Japan, where English teaching resources are unnecessary  expensive while Shelley`s are very affordable. 
Good luck
It seems like we have many choices nowadays: choose your favourite ones ;-)
Ewelina

15 Sep 2014