Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

İbrahim Arif
Turkey

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which one is true?

1)  a. I have a fish. It �s yellow and red.
     b. I have fish. It �s yellow and red. 

2) Which one is true?

a. Turn on Victoria Street.
     b. Turn into Victoria Street? 

18 Sep 2014      

Mikesilver
Brazil

1. B
2. B

I hope I have helped. 

18 Sep 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Sorry, as a native speaker I must disagree. The first �fish � sentence is correct. The second would be �I have some fish. They are yellow and red. �

Both �Victoria � sentences are correct but with slightly different meanings. Turn on Victoria may mean you are already on Victoria St but you might be doing a u-turn or turning off it onto some other street.  In the second one you are on another street and you are going to change direction into Victoria St. I hope this helps.

18 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mmm... well I think 1a is better, so choose that if you have to choose! I think 1b is acceptable. 

2b �Turn on Victoria Street � on its own sounds a bit weird. It �s possible as joy2bill has explained. 

18 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

Lynne, I think you didn �t read 1b carefully. With "It �s", you need "a fish".
I watch out for you, hon.

Bruce

18 Sep 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Fish is one of the most ambiguous nouns in English. Fish can be singular, plural, or uncountable. Technically, both a and b are correct, but I still like a much better. I suppose you could have yellowfin tuna and red Chinook salmon, but it still sounds strange to me.

In American English, there �s nothing odd about "turn on Victoria Street." Turn INTO Victoria Street, well, you just became a road!

18 Sep 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi there

1 a - yes, it�s fine
1 b - needs some fine tuning.  Either,
- I have (some) fish.  They are yellow and red, or
- I have a fish. It is yellow and red.

2 a - yes, it�s fine
2 b - yes, it�s fine

As you can see from the previous comments, these do have a different meaning in American English compared to Australian English.

Cheers

Jayho

18 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Bruce and Jayho - there might be a whole pile of fish and it �s yellow and red... 

Imagine this. The fisherman gets off the boat and his customers are eagerly waiting to inspect his catch. Seagulls are circling and trying to pick off bits of fish, by the way. The crowd are wondering, �What �s in his catch today? Has he got crabs, prawns, or just fish? If it �s just fish, is it cod, is it hake, or is it sea bream? �

�I have no prawns or anything like that, � he informs them. �But I have got fish. It �s yellow and red. � 
(English prefers got)
Is that not OK? 
Lynne

19 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

OK, Lynne, I take back my correction, especially if each one is yellow and red.

Thanks,
Bruce

19 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hiya Bruce, thank you for getting back on this one. I only posted with this interpretation because of joy2bill �s certainty it was incorrect. Obviously, in a multiple choice, you �d have to go for 1a. 

Isn �t language a marvellous thing? And so is a glass of red on a Friday night after a long, hard week! So, cheers my dear.
Lynne x

19 Sep 2014