Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the different between must & have to    

the different between must & have to

arbic
Saudi Arabia

the different between must & have to

what are the different between  ( must ) and (have to , please

22 Sep 2014      

mouradishere
Tunisia

Good morning there. must and have to are both used to express obligation. The difference is in where the obligation comes from: if it is an external factor that makes the action necessary we use have to (students have to get a full mark in order to pass the exam) whereas if the obligation comes from a personal motive and the person strongly agrees we use must ( I must worh hard to pass the exam).
This link is for a further insight
http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/musthaveto/menu.php
Have a great day.

22 Sep 2014     

Zora
Canada

As a native, I am going to add that "must" is slightly more urgent/important than "have to"...

He must go to the doctor today. (urgency) 
He has to go to the doctor. (This just means that he has an appointment or needs to go to the doctor today.)

23 Sep 2014     

arbic
Saudi Arabia

Thank you very much for this useful infromation

23 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

Native speakers, would you agree that we don �t distinguish much in meaning between "must" and "have to", but that we consider "must" a little more formal, and more urgent, as Linda said? That �s the way I use them. In speech, we are much more likely to use "have to" than "must".

Bruce

23 Sep 2014     

Zora
Canada

I�d agree with Bruce... 

I use "have to" and, I might add "need to" and "should", much more than "must" in conversation. "Must" almost sounds like it �s too formal or even impolite at times, like you are insisting on something. (this might be the Canadian politeness in me! lol)

I prefer to say, 

You should/have to/need to go to the bank and pay that bill. And not, You must go to the bank and pay that bill.  (Unless, of course, that bill is overdue and needs to be paid now.)

23 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Linda and I agree. We wouldn �t even use "must" if the bill is overdue. We would add "really" to "should/have to/need to".

Bruce

23 Sep 2014     

douglas
United States

My impression is that "must" is more common in BE. Also, consider that if you are teaching for certain certifications, the difference (internal vs external) is important.

Douglas

24 Sep 2014     

pajka
Poland

I think, that must may be not obligatory:
1. You must see that movie! - the movie is fantastic, I really liked it, so you should watch it.
2. You have to see that movie. - before you write an essay/ it �s obligatory.

Must can express assumtpions:
1. He must be a good teacher, because students are doing really fine.
2. He has to be a good teacher. - I demand a good teacher.

Whether the obligation comes from ourselves, or from exterior factors:
1. I must go now - because I want to do sth else.
2. I have to go now - to work.

24 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, pajka, but native speakers don �t necessarily make those distinctions, except in the assumptions examples. For recommendations, we use both, and in your last pair, we use them more or less interchangeably.

Bruce

24 Sep 2014