Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please help    

Please help

manzura
Tajikistan

Please help

Please help    It seems to me i understand  the " used  to  "  structure  but still  some situations are confusing.  For example what is the differance between  " I  lived  here" and  I  used  to  live  here"  .   and  one  more  sentence :  Flying  is  being good to  me.   what does  it  mean?  can we say  " Flying  is  becoming  good  to me � �  or  " Flying is good for me"   Thank  you  very  much  Dear teachers!

26 Sep 2014      

douglas
United States

"I lived here" and "I used to live here" are practically interchangeable, but "I lived here" generally requires a point in time in the past as a reference (either implied or explicit) --"used to" is its own time reference.

"Flying is being good to me."(as I see it) is informal and means it is treating me well--it is kind of metaphorical in that it implies that flying is an entity that can consciously treat me one way or another.

"Flying is becoming good to me" doesn �t really work; "Flying is becoming good for me" does.

Cheers,
Douglas

26 Sep 2014     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Could I go on and ask what "I used to be living here" implies?

Thanks a lot.

26 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

Alena, I �ll take this one. Douglas gave you excellent answers, as usual.

We would almost never say "I used to be living here". The continuous tenses emphasize a process over time, while "used to" emphasizes an activity that has ended, without dealing with the process or the time period (usually).

I have been trying to think of a situation when I would say "I used to be living here", and I can �t come up with one.

Bruce

26 Sep 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Bruce. "I used to be living here sounds strange. I also cannot come up with a scenario where it would be used.

26 Sep 2014     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Thank you very much for your replies.

Did I get it right that no forms except "to-infinitive" can be used after the construction "used to"? Then, what about "get used" - what forms are possible? 

Thank you once again.

26 Sep 2014     

FrauSue
France

Hi Alena,

"I used to" can only be used with a base verb following (e.g I used to like cheese). It refers to a habit in the past. In this structure, the "to" is part of the infinitive verb construction.

"To get used to" and "to be used to" can be used with either a noun or a gerund (-ing form of the verb) and they refer to something which is now familiar or habitual to you. (e.g. I used to hate cheese, but now I �m used to eating it on pizzas. / I �ve been living in France for a while now, so I �m used to long lunch breaks.) In this structure, the "to" is a preposition.

I hope that helps.

26 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

In case anyone is interested, I have come up with an example of "used to" with a continuous form. It is the common  use of the past continuous with an interruption:
My son used to be sleeping when I would look in on him, but this week he has been playing with his toys.

Bruce

26 Sep 2014     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Thank you, dear FrauSue,
Thank you, dear Bruce,
but I �m sorry to say that I can �t understand the meaning "when I would look in on him". 

26 Sep 2014     

yanogator
United States

"when I would open the door and look into the room, in order to check on him".

Bruce

26 Sep 2014     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Thank you, dear FrauSue,
Thank you, dear Bruce,
but I �m sorry to say that I can �t understand the meaning "when I would look in on him". 

26 Sep 2014