Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > job titles in a restaurant    

job titles in a restaurant

aslanysm
Turkey

job titles in a restaurant

Hello everyone

I was searching for job titles in a restaurant and found these two: busboy and dishwasher. The dictionary says they are American English. Are there British names for them? Are they commonly used or one of these odd words that bilingual dictionaries may have even they don �t exist!

27 Sep 2014      

redcamarocruiser
United States

�Busboy � and �dishwasher � are common words in American English. I am sorry I don �t know if there is a different equivalent in British English, but the Macmillan dictionary theasaurus, British version, lists �busboy � as a restaurant job title.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/thesaurus-category/british/People-who-work-in-restaurants-cafes-and-bars

By the way, "to bus"  is the verb for the busboy �s job. He busses tables, meaning he clears them and brings the dishes to the kitchen for washing.

27 Sep 2014     

Jayho
Australia

I have never heard of �busboy�.

This link provides the British English equivalents although I have never heard of these either. In Australia, the wait staff generally perform this role.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Sep 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

One job that is common with my students is "glassie" whereby they go from table to table, especially in pubs, and collect the used glasses to take to the dishwasher. ( person, not machine).

27 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Busboy isn �t used in England - I �ve never heard of it. Jobs in a restaurant - waiter/waitress - they take your order and bring you the food. Chef or cook - prepares the food. For the guys who do the general skivvying and dish washing - kitchen staff. Some of my students do this and I haven �t actually heard a job title, they just say, �I work in the kitchen. � 

28 Sep 2014     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

Having worked in restaurants in England I can confidently say that the washer upper washes the plates and such. Either with the help of a machine or by hand.
Busboys are only found in the USA. Waiters or waitresses serve and clear tables in England.

In some restaurants there is a kind of hierarchy as to who does what - the highest level is the person who greets and seats, then you have the order taker, (a wine waiter or sommelier will take your wine order in very smart restaurants), then the server/clearer who brings and takes your plates. 

In the kitchen there is a very clear chain of command - depending on the size and poshness of the place you will have a number of different types of chef all under the head chef. At the bottom of the pile is the poor old washer upper!

The term �Glassie � is, I think, an Aussie word. 

Hope that this helps
Cindy

28 Sep 2014     

aslanysm
Turkey

Thank you all. You have been really helpful.

28 Sep 2014