Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > MODAL QUESTION    

MODAL QUESTION

monder78
Poland

MODAL QUESTION

Which option would you put in the following sentence "Caroline may ... go away next week. The sentence was taken from a grammar book  .You are supposed to put the right form of either  must or have to . The only one which I  can think of  is  may be able  , but it comes from  can. Cheers  in advance

29 Sep 2014      

douglas
United States

...may have to go away...

(may and must never go together as far as I can recall)

it could be that her company is making her go somewhere (for example).

29 Sep 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Douglas recalled it right: Modals don �t go together. Hence, your answer is �have to �. Meaning: It �s not sure, but there are signs in the air she may have to go away. I may have to do some more work, but I don �t know yet. It depends on my boss and other circumstances. Hope this helps. Peter

29 Sep 2014     

Zora
Canada

Have to is not really a true modal verb. It is a semi-modal. That is why it is the correct option. Two modals cannot go together. However, a modal and a semi-modal verb can.

I hope that helps explain why one is correct and the other isn�t. 

29 Sep 2014