Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > is the first sentence right?    

is the first sentence right?

omarengteacher
Peru

is the first sentence right?

hi everyone. Is this sentence right? Ann has as beautiful pets as Jake. One of my Ss wrote it that way, so I proposed this other version: Ann has pets which are as beautiful as Jake �s. Thanks in advance for your help.

2 Oct 2014      

Maribelfromtheworld
Spain

Hi Omar,

I believe the correct sentence is: Ann has as MANY beautiful pets as Jake.
Your version is grammatically correct, however is not very much used by natives (maybe too constructed).
Thanks and good luck.

Maribel

3 Oct 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Omar, you are right; the student �s sentence was wrong. It was ambiguous. As a native speaker of American English, I like your rewrite better, but I personally prefer, "Ann �s pets are as beautiful as Jake �s."

Maribel �s interpretation could also be correct. The difference is that Omar, you are comparing the beauty of the pets, and Maribel is comparing the number of pets. It �s hard to tell from your student �s sentence, and that �s the problem.

3 Oct 2014