Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CONSIDERED VS WAS CONSIDERED    

CONSIDERED VS WAS CONSIDERED

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello Everyone. I am in a bit of a dilemma. what is the difference of these two words in meaning and structure...??

eg. Whatever you may think now, these were steps that ......necessary at the time.

b. they considered - which is the correct answer

d. they were considered

Thanks in advance

14 Oct 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

I would use the passive "were considered" in this context. A pronoun usually requires an antecedent, and there is no antecedent here for "they." If there is an obvious antecedent for "they" earlier in the quotation or passage, then "they considered" is fine.

14 Oct 2014     

yanogator
United States

Hey, GP,
"They were considered" is passive, saying that someone considered them (some unspecified people) to be necessary, rather than the steps. We need not to have "they", so that "steps" is correctly the thing being considered. Maybe in Greek a pronoun is needed in there, but it doesn �t work in English.

bruce

14 Oct 2014     

Tere-arg
Argentina

eg. Whatever you may think now, these were steps that ......necessary at the time.

b. they considered - which is the correct answer

d. they were considered

b. they = the people/authorities, whoever

d. they = the steps
It would be possible to say:  "...these steps were considered necessary..."

As it has been said before b is in active voice  and  d is in passive, which means the object heads the idea and not the doer of the action.

14 Oct 2014     

lyny
Mexico

I think B is right and it might be cause of sequence of time. It sounds right to me.My humble opinion.

14 Oct 2014     

Greek Professor
Greece

Thanks guys... much appreciated it...

14 Oct 2014