Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Conversation in English    

Conversation in English

xandra27
Croatia

Conversation in English

Hi everyone! I would appreciate if you have any advice as to what books to use for advanced language learners. They �ve been attending conversation classes for years now, running out of ideas. All of the Upper Intermediate as well as Advanced coursebooks cover the same topics. I use a lot of articles from the newspapers, but was just wondering if there was some good book I might use to make it easier. I have used many standard coursebooks, as well as A-Z discussions, Taboos and Issues and so forth... Thanks if you come up with anything :) 

14 Oct 2014      

douglas
United States

I �m in a similar boat, am curious to see any helpful answers/suggestions :)

15 Oct 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Instead of a book you could do an integrated real life project e.g. in small groups design a survey, administer the survey, collate the results, present the results, evaluate the presentation.  Or, design a new product, market the new product, evaluate the marketing, present the results.  You focus on the macro skill/s that you want to improve.

I rarely use books with my high level learners - I try to relate it to their everyday life or work and I find this very effective and motivational.

Cheers

Jayho

15 Oct 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

How about http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/ ?

and http://www.cdlponline.org/

or http://www.eslpod.com/website/index_new.html

15 Oct 2014     

freddie
Canada

Ask them to come up with interesting topics and questions to discuss. They have the skills, let them take on more responsibility. Ask them to give a presentation on something they know a lot about. I ask upper level groups to teach a lesson about something as a group sometimes. It often leads to a hilarious class. Have a book club or discuss a favourite TV show/movie that you have decided to watch outside the class and then start a blog on the topic and they can all contribute to it. Stop doing everything and let them take more responsibility for the content. The more they are involved, the more interested they will be.

17 Oct 2014     

xandra27
Croatia

Thanks everyone for the advice... I did use a lot of the things you mentioned... we had the presentations, book clubs etc... Virtually any topic you could imagine... They �ve been attending conversation lessons 5 years in a row... only a few of them in the group...

Thanks :) I will also add ideas I come up with for others to use :)

22 Oct 2014