Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What word would be fit here?     

What word would be fit here?

ttuffl
Korea, South

What word would be fit here?

Hi Here �s my question.
When we say �Are you a student or (_________)?" in Korean, we use a noun in a blank. The noun means a person who works and gets paid.
What is the most common expression for (________) in English?

Are you a student or a worker? 
Are you a student or do you work?
Are you a student or are you employed?

I �m waiting for your help. Thank you. 

26 Oct 2014      

isa2
Austria

I suggest: an employee

27 Oct 2014     

karagozian
France

I suggest : I work. This is more general. As a teacher I cannot say that I am an employee. Same for doctors, lawyers etc....

27 Oct 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Are you a student or do you work? � I think is a more natural phrase, but none of the suggestions is incorrect. You might also hear: �Are you a student or have you got a job? � 
�Are you a student or are you working/in work? �

27 Oct 2014     

kons
Morocco

Hi,
I suggest: Are you a student or do you work?
the word "a worker" is not appropriate because it implies a specific job/meaning. The same for employed, which means that you work for someone else. I think the question is asked to see if the person has got a job or he or she is still a student and not to see  what kind of job he or she has got.
Hope it helps.

27 Oct 2014     

douglas
United States

"Are you a student or do you work?" could be taken sarcastically (students don �t work, they are lazy).

Also, you could be a student and work too (e.g. food service to get through college).

How about: Are you a student or have you already started your career alt: "joined the rat race"). :)

27 Oct 2014     

karagozian
France

OK, but this won �t do for � future house builder, plumber or gardener !

27 Oct 2014     

serzt
Turkey

How about rephrasing the question?
Are you a full time student or have you already started a career?
Have you finished your studies?

27 Oct 2014     

zahra.r
Iran

i think "are you student or do you work?" is better than the others to use. good luck :)

27 Oct 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

When we meet someone, we usually ask them, "What do you do?" 

However, if you absolutely have to include the word student in your question, Iagree that the best combination with " Are you a student"  would be "or do you work?"

27 Oct 2014     

ttuffl
Korea, South

In the background survey of OPIc, test takers should answer if they are students or they work and based on that, they �re asked different questions. Naturally textbooks have two sections(/units) , one for �students � and the other for �( ) �. In Koean we simply use one noun in the blank. So I wondered if there is an English equivalent. Thank you so much for all your suggestions!!

27 Oct 2014     

1    2    Next >