Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > must or have to    

must or have to

Belanaana
Argentina

must or have to

Hello! 
What do you say? You must save water. or You have to save water. ( there �s a sign with the words : Save Water!! 
Thanks!!

31 Oct 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think both are fine. If someone is telling you this info, giving you the instruction, they might say, �You must save water! �. However, if you read this and interpret it and relay it to someone else, you would say, �You have to save water. � Or �We should save water. � Or �We are supposed to save water. � 

1 Nov 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

You have to save water = the underlying meaning is that it �s the law or that someone else is telling you to do it
You must save water = the obligation comes from you, you are telling yourself that it �s important and you know that it �s important (no one is imposing anything on you)

I must do my homework (= i know it �s important if i want to improve my grades etc...)
I have to do my homework (=my teacher/parents will punish me if I don �t, but i don �t really know why it �s important that I do it, i just do it because i was told to do it...

http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/musthaveto/menu.php

but both sentences are fine :)

1 Nov 2014     

Belanaana
Argentina

Thanks, a lot!!!

2 Nov 2014