Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Teaching Grammar    

Teaching Grammar

helena2009
Hungary

I always do different things according to the grammar topics. But I am going to write you my last experience ( last week ) with my best group. (Age 12)

We learnt subject and object pronouns.

Lesson 1:  We read a text (The story of Chicken Licken from Project 2 Third Edition). We only enjoyed  the story, wrote the new words into the vocabulary book.

Lesson 2: We revised the new vocabulary with games: 1. Ss got an animal, I read the text and when they heard their animal they had to stand up. 2. We played �tic tac toe� on the blackboard. First they had to translate the words, then they had to say a sentence with the words.  3. We had a competition: I read a part from the text. We measured the time, and Ss had to read the text more quickly than me. Who was better then me got a red point. Then we translated the text.

Lesson 3: After warming up, we circled the object pronouns, translated these sentences. We matched the subject pronouns and the object pronouns in a table. We explained the rules together. I wrote few sentences on the board, they chose the correct pronouns together. Then they did the exercises in the book. Now they worked alone. Their homework was a similar exercise in the workbook.

Lesson 4:  After warming up, we did 2 worksheets (1 from ESL), we checked their homework.

I hope they know this grammar topic now. (They say they understand it.) Next lesson we will try to use these pronouns in real situations.

I hope you find my "grammar teaching diary" useful.

I think the previous posts are very useful. Thanks, dear friend!!!

Judy

16 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Ivona

I use an eclectic approach depending on the group.  I am required to teach according to a weekly guideline set for me but I get to choose how I design and deliver the lesson.  This term I am teaching two grammar subjects to intermediate adults aspiring to go to Uni: plain grammar, and grammar for academic writing.

Given that the students have a range of learning styles I design my lesson to cater for these styles.  I usually start with an introductory discussion to elicit their knowledge and application.  This is followed by a demonstration using, where possible, real life objects and writing it on the board (formal and/or informal language use).  We then usually do a WS which contains some theory, an example, and activities.  I use WSs from a variety or coursebooks (subject to copyright limitations) and the internet (why reinvent the wheel) and I get the students to do it in pairs or small groups because they can learn so much from each other and it encourages them to communicate in English.  My icebreaker activity the following day usually contains a real life example of the grammar aspect in action e.g. a newspaper article made into a cloze activity with that grammar aspect missing/amended/highlighted (great for articles, prepositions, tense etc).  In their weekly CALL session I provide reputable websites where they can practice these grammar aspects. Those sites with audio and podcasts are great as they cater for the auditory learners.  And of course there�s commercial CALL packages such as Issues In English which they can access in the PC lab in many language academies.

Although I love this website I find many of the grammar WSs for my level contain errors, whether it be grammar or spelling, and where I work I just can�t afford to be giving out incorrect WS�s.  And if it�s not that it�s a WS copied from another website breaching copyright and where I work if you breach copyright you�re out the door for good!  So I do rely on quality coursebooks and reputable websites, such as BBC and British Council, for quality grammar WSs.

I find my method effective � I get positive feedback from my students and their end of term evaluations rate me highly.  I think it�s important to really help them see it in real life such as in the newspaper, magazines, brochures as well as the valuable TV soapies that often replicate real life � to reinforce it through these mediums, and to point it out in these mediums so it is not isolated but integrated into real life.

Cheers

Jayho

19 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2