Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > any ideas on helping students remember ´who ´ and ´how ´? (reposting so people can respond)    

any ideas on helping students remember ´who ´ and ´how ´? (reposting so people can respond)

redcamarocruiser
United States

any ideas on helping students remember ´who ´ and ´how ´? (reposting so people can respond)

I am reposting this because something happened to the post reply button in the original post. When one clicks on the post reply button, one is redirected to another site.

any ideas on helping students remember ´who ´ and ´how ´?

MarionG
Netherlands 

any ideas on helping students remember ´who ´ and ´how ´?

Tomorrow I will be teaching feelings to my beginner 8-year-olds, and I will be using:
How are you? 
and
Who is happy/tired etc.?

Suddenly I wondered how on Earth  my students (esp. the struggling ones) are going to remember which word is what, since ´who ´ and ´how ´ look so similar.
Maybe anyone of you has a brilliant tip to help them remember? (their mother tongue is Hebrew)
I have seen for example cards where the word was ´drawn ´ in such a way that it shows the meaning, but I couldn ´t think of any way to do this with these two words.
Any tip will be greatly appreciated!

2 Nov 2014      

maryse peyé
France 

Hi dear Marion, I have invented a funny story about these 2 words. Here it is : There is a club, the WH- words club. One day How walked in but it was so drunk that the door shut on the W and became the tail of the word because it turned while the door was shut. HOW is it possible to be so drunk not to have seen WHO shut the door ? / Do you like it ? May it be of some help ? Hugs. Maryse.

2 Nov 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands 

I didn ´t quite understand the story but maybe inventing a story about the letters is a good idea, I ´ll try to come up with one as well. Thanks in any case Heart

2 Nov 2014     

2 Nov 2014      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Owls hoot in English, making a sound like "whoo, whoo", which sounds like "Who, who".

8 year old students might like imitating the owl sound and associate it to asking for an unknown person. Example: 
Who is on the phone? "Whoo, whoo!"
Who is at the door? "Whoo, whoo!"
Who is happy? "Whoo, whoo!"
Who is feeling sick? "Whoo, whoo!"

The students could dance and then freeze in a funny position. You could ask then quesetions about their poses. For example, 
Who had his hands in the air? "Whoo, whoo!"
Who has a foot in the air? "Whoo, whoo!"
Who has his hands on his hips? "Whoo, whoo!"
etc.
For How, you could use a picture of a rubrik cube or other puzzle or a boat in a bottle.
How can we sovle the rubrik cube?
How did they put the boat in the bottle?
How will he ever get his room cleaned up? (show picture of messy room).

In November Americans celebrate Thanksgiving. Native Americans (Indians) helped the pilgrims survive the winter by showing them how to plant squash, beans, and corn.
The Native American greeting was a word that sounded like "how". 

8 year old students might like imitating the  Native American greeting, "how".

You can show a picture of the pilgrims asking the Indian how they can survive the winter.
The Indian can respond, " I can show you HOW to grow food so you will not starve."
"I can show you HOW to plant squash, corn, and beans for the winter."

The students can greet each other with a "How"before asking a question.
Student1: "How!"
Student2" "How! How can I make a cool toy?"

Student3: "How!"
Student4: "How! How are you?
Student 3: Fine.

Student5: "How!"
Student6: "How! How old are you?
Student5: 8

2 Nov 2014     

class centre
Belarus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZlIX6d63Y
we watch this video then play and have fun. Then it ´s enough for me to remind them about this game and they know which word to use. We ususally say -  the cookie from the cookie jar

3 Nov 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you redcamarocruiser for re-posting, how considerate!!
Thank you all for your creative ideas. 
Do you have any suggestions on how to make them remember which word is spelled how? (esp. for the kids with dyslexia this is a true nightmare)

3 Nov 2014     

isa2
Austria

WHO like Dr. Who (series) or like Whoopie Goldberg or like WHO (World Helath Organisation) or The Who is Who
HOW like How I Met Your Mother (series) or like Howard
(Don ´t know if this helps.)

3 Nov 2014