Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Have/have got    

Have/have got

crispego
Spain

Have/have got

Hello everyone!

I have a question: what �s the correct verb to use when talking about subjects, have or have got? For example: 

- I �ve got science on Tuesday or I have science on Tuesday?
- I haven �t got music on Friday or I don �t have music on Friday?

Thanks!

6 Nov 2014      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Both are correct, Americans will prefer HAVE will British people will prefer using HAVE GOT, but both can be switched and only advanced learners need to bother with the differences btw the two...

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/120721/have-vs-have-got-in-american-and-british-english

6 Nov 2014     

crispego
Spain

thanks a lot!

6 Nov 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I agree with Elojolie to the extend that Americans prefer �have � and the use of �do � with questions and negatives, and that the Brits use �have got � more often. But they are not completely interchangeable. I �ve got should be reserved for possessions and relations. "They �ve got a fight" sounds pretty bad to me. "I �ve got science on Friday" is okay, although I �d prefer "I have science (class) on Friday." As we use both versions in Australia (there are many pommies here)I teach both versions to my beginner (adult) students. After all, we are bombarded with both American and British TV programs. As such, if that �s the case in your countries, maybe you should do so, too. Cheers, Peter

7 Nov 2014     

sarasantos
Portugal

OK I got it!

Thanks to Elodie and  Peter for the enlightening information! I had the same doubt yesterday, but I �ve missed this post!  Thumbs Up

7 Nov 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

How strange that two such illustrious members of our club should post the same query almost simultaneously!
I agree with the answers and it is difficult to have to teach �Have you got? � and �Do you have? � etc... 
I usually put the �got � in if it �s possible, so �I �ve got English class � for me, but nobody is bothered. I wonder what the etymology of �got � is - gonna look that up.  

7 Nov 2014     

rita.b
Italy

I �ll try to add some information. For example:
got cannot be used when have means eat, drink, take, give, i.e. have a shower, have a nap, have dinner, have a sandwich, have a party.
have got is mainly used for possessions and relations like Peter said, but it isn �t used with the past (I had got a friend: this isn �t possible)
have without got is good for possessions or relations but in that case in negatives and questions you need do/does/did, because have is auxiliary only if it �s followed by a past participle (and got is one)
Since I �m Italian I may be wrong: if so I would appreciate any comments so that I can improve my English.

7 Nov 2014