Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP PLEASE : The importance of SEMANTICS of english Learning    

HELP PLEASE : The importance of SEMANTICS of english Learning

chito006hacker
Peru

HELP PLEASE : The importance of SEMANTICS of english Learning

Hello guys , how you doing? i �m doin � a course in which i need to talk about
The importance of SEMANTICS of english Learning , i was wondering if you can name books to read or a website where can i download loats of information of this topic, Thank you in advance. Have a good weekend :)

7 Nov 2014      

Peter Hardy
Australia

Semantics, the meaning of language, is quite important, indeed. Example: �Crash � can mean car-accident, a drop in the Stock Market, to attend a party without being invited, ocean waves hitting the shore or the sound of a cymbals being struck together. Or a little word like �on has many meanings, such as: on call, on the roof, on cloud nine, on edge, on fire, on purpose, on demand, on top, or on the phone. A Google search on "books on semantics pdf" (PDF for often free downloads) gave me 3.8 million results. Knock yourself out :-) Cheers, Peter Added: some more examples on how confusing languages can be: �Let�s talk about rights and lefts. You were right, so I left. �7 days without pizza makes one weak. �Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. �Diet slogan: Are you going the wrong weigh? �I fired my masseuse today. She just rubbed me the wrong way. �The best way to communicate with a fish is to drop them a line. �Two silkworms had a race. They ended up in a tie. �A dog gave birth to puppies near the road and was cited for littering.

7 Nov 2014     

chito006hacker
Peru

Thank very much friend , it really helps me a lot ,again thank u very much  :)

7 Nov 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Peter �s suggestion is wonderful. Maybe since you need lots of information, you could also search on Inroduction to semantics. I found a document in .doc format in the search results, and it looked promising. 

8 Nov 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Great answer from Peter. Those sentences will provide me with my starter activities next week. 

8 Nov 2014     

chito006hacker
Peru

Thank u very much to all of you :)

9 Nov 2014