Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Project time    

Project time

MargaritaRa
Russian Federation

Project time

Dear colleagues,
My students are doing some research on "Toys" and the "history of toys"
Can you help us and answer some questions:
What toys did your parents play with?
What toys did your grandparents play with?
Where and when were �toys �invented?
What are the most favourite �or the least favourite toys?
When the toy is old and I don �t want to play with it, what �should I do with it?

Thanks a lot.
Rita

7 Nov 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Interesting topic! I wish I had listened to my parents reminiscing a bit more - don �t we all? I do remember my mam (born 1919 - btw I �m not ancient, I was a late baby!) telling me they used to make figurines to play with using pipe cleaners. They are nice and pliable. 

7 Nov 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I remeber my father telling me that his favourite toy, when he was a little boy, was a wooden rope climbing monkey. I �ve never seen the thing but perhaps it was something like this

7 Nov 2014     

yanogator
United States

@Lynne,
Here in the politically correct US, they are no longer called pipe cleaners. They are "chenille sticks".

Bruce

7 Nov 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

My mother and her sisters used to make dolls out of hollyhock flowers and crowns out of daisies. They jumped rope and made whistles out of split grass blades. My Dad played sports with his friends and played marbles. An uncle liked to play mumblety peg, a knife tossing game. They used to swing from a tire swing on a rope, played red rover red rover, and ring around the rosy, did gymnastics, built a human pyramid, made kites, boats, and went swimming.

7 Nov 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Like Lynne, I �m not ancient (yet), but in my childhood we were very, very poor. As such, we didn �t have many toys. My dad was handy and could make something out of nothing. I remember him making a garage (kind of dollhouse for boys?) and we had some Dinky Toy cars. One each! But we made cars from match boxes, chenille stick - pipe cleaners - and some buttons. We played often, if not always, outside. Climbing trees, play tag, hide and seek, skipping and the like. When were toys �invented � you ask? Probably when we were still on all fours. The monkey sees, monkey does principle. A stick is a gun (play cowboy) and a can/tin can be a football, you know. And why are certain toys favourite? Simply because they give you joy, or maybe (some) comfort. When toys were no longer wanted, they were passed on. I hope my faded memories are of any help. Cheers, Peter.

7 Nov 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Marbles! Yes, back then, everybody had a few marbles. Although I �ve lost many of mine these days.Wink 
With the chenille sticks (thank you, Bruce, I do like to be PC), I remember my dad showing me a trick. He made the man, put water on the legs, which then kicked out! How could that be, I wonder. 
I never went in much for toys. We had a little mongrel, Lady, and I used to dress her up in old clothes and carry her round. I even remember pinning her ears back with my mam �s clip-on ear rings. Lady loved this. Unfortunately she didn �t have eye lashes or lips, so I couldn �t make her up. 

Edit. My mam and dad hated cats so I couldn�t have one. Child abuse!

8 Nov 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Thanks again (see your other entry), Lynne, for reminding me I �ve lost my marbles, too. Well, so be it. Despite that being a fact, at least we didn �t sit in front of a screen all day. Although ... visiting ESL Printables I seem to lose track of my on-screen time. Catching-up time or keeping-up-with-the-kids-time? Maybe I should play with my marbles instead, if I could only find them. Peter.

8 Nov 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Losing your marbles. I think that comes from the fact the the Parthenon lost its marbles (statues) and they were on the top... so losing your marbles means to go doolally, but I haven �t googled it. They lost them to us - the Brits and we still have them, he he!!!

8 Nov 2014