Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > On , at or in ?    

On , at or in ?

marane
Tunisia

On , at or in ?

Which prepostion do we use before :Christmas , Easter and Monday morning ? I know we use on before days and special days but in many worksheets I found "at Easter" . For the days of the week followed by a part of the day either morning or night , what is more important the day or the part of the day ? Here also I come across different answers . Thanks in advance dear colleagues .

12 Nov 2014      

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

You should use AT with religious holidays (AT Christmas, AT Easter),  ININ - with parts of the dayparts of the day (IN the morning/afternoon/evening), ONON - with the days of the weekdays of the week (ON Monday/Tuesday/...),

But  ONON when a part of the day + a day of the weeka part of the day + a day of the week are used together (ON Monday morning, ON  Saturday evening, on Friday night) 

Julia

12 Nov 2014     

eliona-jc
Albania

We say "at Christmas", "at Easter" to refer to the festive occasion or celebration in general or broadly speaking. But when we talk specifically about these days we have to use on.
Eg. On your birthday (referring to the very day of your birthday), on Christmas morning, on New Year �s Eve, on your wedding day etc.
Compare : On Easter Sunday we go to church and then we have a lavish dinner party. Sth you do specifically on that day)
                  At Easter we usually visit our friends and exchange gifts. (a typical or general activity at that time of the year)

As far as the 2nd question goes, I have to say that both day and part of the day are important but we wish to emphasise the part in particular. On Friday afternoons I go to the gym. You wish to place an emhasis on the "afternoon". Hope I have been helpful :)

12 Nov 2014     

marane
Tunisia

Thanks a lot it is of great help.

12 Nov 2014