Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!! The Johnson ´s day / the Johnsons ´ day    

Help!! The Johnson ´s day / the Johnsons ´ day

MarionG
Netherlands

Help!! The Johnson ´s day / the Johnsons ´ day

I gave my students homework about the Johnson family, spending the day at the beach.
The title is "The Johnson �s day at the beach". (It is an excellent sheet, btw, I downloaded it from here).
I received an email from a parent (at 2.54 am!) saying that there is a mistake in the worksheet. It should read: The Johnsons � day at the beach.
To be honest, I tend to agree with this mother. I would also have pluralized the family name and therefore added the apostrophe after the the s. If I had wanted the keep the family name singular, I would have written "The Johnson Family �s day at the beach".

Is there anything I can write to defend the original title? 
I have no problem telling her she �s right but I would like to be able to say something in defense of the original title. Anything to justify not having changed it ? (other than respecting someone else �s work)

(I remember I looked at it , frowned, wondered, and left it as is....)

At moments like these, I miss Les Unhappy. Les, whatever happened to you? Are you still around?

12 Nov 2014      

Peter Hardy
Australia

I �m with you all the way, Marion. In defence you might point out that the original form is rather formal. It �s an older piece, from forgotten days where proper grammar was to be used. Nowadays we are less formal, and may indicate a family as different people. Hence the popular plural usage. To keep the compromise in the middle, you may add the third (family) option as the �complete � title. Don �t tell that that was your other option, so neither feels proven wrong with the apostrophe options. (I know, I missed that career opportunity, too.) Cheers, Peter (Hoop dat het helpt).

12 Nov 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi Peter, Thanks for your reply. Did I understand correctly?  Did you imply that the original title actually applies proper grammar? Can you explain that a bit more?
Are there reasons to not use the plural form of a family name? Is pluralizing family names a new thing?

BTW do you know what happened to Les (I think his username was idmagicman) I can �t find him anywhere anymore. 
edit: Found him, it was ldTHEmagicman! 

12 Nov 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Overall, my previous answer was more from a peacekeeping perspective. But, as first ideas are often the best, so yes, I implied that it was formal. I �ll leave it to others to give the in-depth grammar. (My brain is in slow-down mode). The more familiar use is common for a few decades by now, I think. Pretty much since we have mobile/cell phones. Or, as they don �t teach grammar at Ozzie schools since 1985, it might be since then. Definitely modern attitude. And sadly I can �t help you with Les � whereabouts or situation. Cheers, Peter

12 Nov 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

Are you serious? They don �t teach grammar at all? 
wow, that �s interesting. Also here some people argue that grammar should not be a main point. (especially those who teach English speakers - which I suppose is the majority of teachers in Australia, here they are a clear minority)

12 Nov 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Leaving aside that it�s really more about punctuation than grammar, can I bring the discussion down to gutter level and point out that the original heading with The Johnson + �s (specifying a single Johnson) only makes sense if you are familiar with a) the traditional Scottish form of address for a clan chief or laird (eg "The Chisholm") or b) one of the many slang terms for male genitalia (and that the beach was possibly a nudist one)? I �ll get my coat.

12 Nov 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

@almaz, LOL
I doubt the author meant THAT!
So, basically yo are saying that the apostrophe placement in the original title is flat out wrong? 
Nothing in to say in its defense?

12 Nov 2014     

yanogator
United States

Yes, flat out wrong. Unless, as Alex pointed out, it was just one person, who is called the Johnson, it doesn �t work. �S is for singular nouns.

I have a lesson on family names, their plurals, and their possessive forms. Here is a summary.

This is Mr. Smith.
This is Mr. Smith �s car. (Singular  possessive)
This is his family. They are the Smiths. (Plural - No apostrophe)
This is their house. It is the Smiths � house. (Plural possessive)

This is Mr. Charles.
This is Mr. Charles �s car.
This is his family. They are the Charleses.
This is their house. It is the Charleses � house.

Bruce

12 Nov 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sorry, Marion. Unless it �s a single Johnson, it �s wrong.

12 Nov 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Marion,

I saw Les a while ago - we met up in Newcastle, England (his home town). He was lovely and a phenomenon. He just stopped posting on here and said he was too busy. He wasn �t very well, either, and he is no spring chicken. I pressed him to write a caption for the competition and oh that must be six months ago; maybe more. I �ll give him a ring at the weekend. You are right; he is sorely missed. What wit, what charm, what sheer intelligence and good nature. He treated me like a queen. 

Be magnanimous about the apostrophe - thank this parent profusely for pointing out your simple typo. Wink

Edit: If you have a look at my power point �50 ready to go Activities�, you will see Les on slide 54. (Eh?) He is sitting beside a little fat bird.

Lynne 

12 Nov 2014     

manonski (f)
Canada

Thank you for Lee �s update. I was wondering about him a month ago but never got around to asking here.

12 Nov 2014