Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with more fun in class    

Help with more fun in class

an43
Spain

Help with more fun in class

Hello everybody. I �m teaching English to children aged between 7 and 11. As a routine in the first ten minutes,I name a monitor in class who is in charge of giving handouts... and I make him/her these questions: what �s the weather like, what are you wearing, how did you come to school, what did you eat, how do you look like,...? But I think it has become a little boring for them, although they learn a lot of English without any effort. Could anybody help me find other more fun ideas to practise these questions and answers? Thanks a lot.

12 Nov 2014      

ELOJOLIE274
France

What about a "what �s in the box game?"
bring a box (cardboard would do fine) and put several objects inside (a blue pen, a yellow highlighter, a brown teddy bear, etc...) try to put small AND big objects, different colours for each object etc...
then you ask one pupil to come and look inside the box, s/he can touch or move the objects but can �t take them out: give him/her a time (1 minute at first, then if you repeat the game a shorter time each time.)
the pupils in the class will ask him/her the question "what �s in the box" while another pupil will be in charge of taking the objects out of the box when they are mentionned ("there �s a blue pen" --> put the blue pen outside the box)
at first you will put only a few objects, no more than 10, and it �s okay if they only say "there �s a pen" but after a while you need to spice it up a bit (2 pens, but 2 different colours, OR 2 teddy bears but 2 different shapes...)
then after a while you can ask your pupils to bring objects (anything really) so you can make them say "there �s a teddy bear - whose is it? Amy: It �s mine  - whose is it? It �s Amy �s teaddy bear"...

PS: when your pupils are really used to the game they can learn vocabulary like "an empty bottle of perfume", "a half-empty bottle of water", "a striped tee-shirt" "a broken toy" and you can put objects they can describe without knowing the proper name "a piece of a remote-control" "something to repair a television or a lamp with" "a plate you can put in the oven to bake a cake" (depending on the vocabulary/expressions they already know...)

Edit: I forgot the "questions part" if you put a doll or a teddy bear, they can ask questions like "what is she wearing? what colour are her eyes?" but for the other objects the questions would be "how big is it? what colour is it? is it new? what is it used for?"

12 Nov 2014     

an43
Spain

Very useful!!!, thanks a lot. Thanks, thanks.

12 Nov 2014     

[email protected]
Spain

You could tell the student to close his/her eyes and ask him/ her questions about the other classmates: "What is Nuria wearing? Who has blond hair and Brown eyes? Is the door open or closed? Get someone �s bracelet, schoolbag ... and ask: Whose scarf is this? It should do for a few lessons again. Cheers.

12 Nov 2014