Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > present perfect    

present perfect

yanogator
United States

@velodra,
If a duration is given, there isn �t much difference.
I have taught math for 30 years.
I have been teaching math for 30 years.

In general, continuous tenses emphasize a process over time, so that is the difference here. The first is just a statement of fact. The second conveys the involvement in the activity.

Without a duration, the difference is bigger.
I have done my homework. -- the work is finished
I have been doing my homework. -- that is how I have spent my time. The work may or may not be finished. Again, the continuous deals with the process over time.

Bruce

12 Nov 2014     

valodra
France

Thank you so much! BUT....;-)) I have taught math for 30 years. = I �m an experienced Math teacher (???) I have been teaching math for 30 years.= it �s been a loooong time; ( not my experience here , just an emphasis on : 30 years. ) NO ? If so, there IS a difference.( BTW; I do apologize for my - failed !- attempts to use this " prompt mode"!!!) I �ve tried = no results - so far! ;-)) I �ve been trying = it has taken me a long time . ( but I failed!!) :-(( ( I cannot just underline words - Am I so helpless ??? ) Thank you for not answering this last question!!!...

12 Nov 2014     

yanogator
United States

I didn �t say no difference. Both say that I have 30 years of experience. The continuous just stresses the process over time, as I said. An interviewer might ask the question in either tense, since both tenses give the information about the amount of experience.

In your examples with "try", the difference isn�t that exact. Both indicate a failure to accomplish a desired task, but the continuous just emphasizes the time period. It doesn�t necessarily imply a long time.

Did this help?

Bruce

12 Nov 2014     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thank you guys for all your answers.  Everything is as clear as mud now.. hehe sorry just kidding.

Yes I think I understand.

Thanks for your help

Yeti xx 

14 Nov 2014     

valodra
France

@Yanogator,

Thank you very much! :-)))

14 Nov 2014     

< Previous   1    2