Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A movie with action?    

A movie with action?

ttuffl
Korea, South

A movie with action?

I asked questions about how to say movie genres and got great answers from Bruce yesterday, which triggered more questions here.

When people answer the question �what kind of movies do you like?� they say � I like comedy, horror, action...� or even just say �comedy, horror...�instead of �comedy movies, horror movies...�

Q1) I think it is when they say about the genre. Am I right?

Then � I like comedy. Comedy movies make me happy� sounds natural?or �I like comedy� still sounds uncommon?

Q2)Because saying movie genres is slightly confusing at first (comedy movies/comedies but usually action movies not actions), could it be alternative to teach like...

I like movies with action and comedy...or a little romance, etc?

Q3) Do you say sci-fi movies as sci-fis?

Thanks always and have a great weekend everyone !

21 Nov 2014      

yanogator
United States

1. Yes, it �s the genre, and only in answer to a question. If you say, "I like comedy", it means that you like things that make you laugh, not just movies. "I like action" is about life (and maybe sex), not movies. "I like horror" means you like things that scare you. 

2. Yes, that �s a good plan. 

3. I like sci-fi movies or I like sci-fi, never sci-fis You can say comedies or dramas, but not actions or sci-fis. Don �t try to make sense of that. 

Bruce

22 Nov 2014     

ttuffl
Korea, South

Wow thanks again, Bruce!!

22 Nov 2014