Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > relative clauses    

relative clauses

samahdaba1983**
Syria

relative clauses

Hello, 
I ´d like to know when we  can use that instead of "where ,who and which" .
Thanks

28 Nov 2014      

Julia45
Slovakia

"That" can replace "who" and "which" virtually in any sentence. I cannot think of a situation when it could replace "where".

28 Nov 2014     

redcamarocruiser
United States

This is the place where he was born.
= This is the place in which he was born.
= This is the place that he was born in.
= This is the place that he was born.

from http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1498414 

28 Nov 2014     

pilarmham
Spain

I don �t think that use is quite correct, although it is widely used. I agree with this other answer:

In the sentence given one cannot replace "where" with "that". In this example the word "where" functions as a relative adverb, a role that the word "that" cannot perform*, i.e. "where" relates the location of the man �s birth to "right here". Native English speakers (especially in North America) will say such things, but it always rubs me the wrong way: one isn �t born "that", one is born "somewhere".

28 Nov 2014     

yanogator
United States

I, too, disagree with " This is the place that he was born" because the second clause is about him, not the place, so the sentence isn �t parallel. Adding "in" at the end fixes that. Bruce

28 Nov 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

One of our managers at work puts �that � in all sorts of sentences where it could just as easily be left out. I hate to see it. Leave it out if possible. Maybe I am becoming an angry old woman, ha ha.

29 Nov 2014