Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > occupations    

occupations

Makigi
Croatia

occupations

Hello!
I need help with occupations, 
A person who drives a train is a train driver?
What about a person who repairs clocks? Watchmaker?
And the one that cleans chimneys? 
I teach British English. 
Thnx! 

29 Nov 2014      

Julia45
Slovakia

A person who cleans chimneys is a chimney sweep.

29 Nov 2014     

ironik
Australia

In American English, a person who drives a train is also called an engineer.

An engineer pulled his freight train into a siding.

In British English, a person who drives a train is called an engine driver.

source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/engine+driver

29 Nov 2014     

yanogator
United States

I wouldn �t say that "clock smith" is common in the US. I have never heard the word. I would say clock repair person. A watchmaker actually makes watches, which most repair people don �t do. B

ruce

29 Nov 2014     

kwsp
United States

Hi! Here are some examples of a clocksmith for clock repair in the US. Hope this helps! Jos Dubois Clocksmith expert servicing and repair of fine mechanical clocks in Charelston, SC �http://www.clocksmith.us/

Thomas England Clocksmith your one trusted source for repair in Chapel Hill, NC �http://www.thomasenglundclocksmith.com/

29 Nov 2014     

Makigi
Croatia

Thank you all for your answers! :)
m. 

29 Nov 2014     

FrauSue
France

I �m British and I wouldn �t say "engine driver" for someone who drives a train. I would simply say "train driver".

30 Nov 2014     

Makigi
Croatia

Thank you FrauSue, you have made my life easier! I will definitely use "train driver" and it �s much easier for my little ones to remember it, too ;) Could you tell me is �engine driver � more formal or you don �t use it at all.
Thanx for your help! 

30 Nov 2014     

FrauSue
France

Hi Magiki,
I �ve never used "engine driver" - I always say "train driver". But remember that even UK English has lots of regional differences, so it might be common elsewhere in the UK! I �ve only ever used "engine" to refer to a train in the context of the children �s character Thomas the Tank Engine, or for old-fashioned steam engines (traction engines) that you see at vintage fairs. A modern train is just a "train" in my vocabulary.

4 Dec 2014     

Makigi
Croatia

Hi FrauSue, I have already made the flashcards and wss (and used train driver), but thnx a lot. I have English club once a week for my "A" students, so this is just something extra I �ll do with them, it �s not really a part of our curriculum, so to say, but  I �ll be sure to mention what you have nicely explained :)
Thanks again! 
Makigi 

5 Dec 2014