Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Like    

Makigi
Croatia

Hello, could you please help me
with these

I like to read
I like reading

Which one is correct and why?
Thanx a lot! 

9 Dec 2014      

mihaelabo
Tuvalu

like +verb-ing emphasis on the process itself and enjoyment of it

like +to emphasis more on the preference or habit. (See Cambridge Dictionary for more verbs)

9 Dec 2014     

anaisabel001
Spain

There is a very small difference in meaning between the two forms. The -ing form emphasises the action or experience. The to-infinitive gives more emphasis to the results of the action or event. We often use the -ing form to suggest enjoyment (or lack of it), and the to-infinitive form to express habits or preferences.

I like making jam. (Emphasis on the experience/action)

We have a lot of fruit in the garden. I like to make jam every year. (A habit or preference)

Hope it helps.

9 Dec 2014     

jamescooper2012
Austria

Everyone relax - both work in spoken English and are OK in written forms. Most native speakers wouldn �t know the difference. When used as the simple present tense � I read every saturday � and � I am reading now �  changes the time frame ie a repetative action with �I read �  and a �doing it now action � with �I am reading �

9 Dec 2014     

Makigi
Croatia

yep, it helps, thnx a lot! :) 

9 Dec 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

# James Cooper. Both expression do work well indeed, but�as so nicely explained by�Mihaelabo and Anaisabel, there is a slight difference. Stating that most native speakers wouldn �t know the difference is, however, a bit too bold. They may not be able to explain it very well, but they use these and many other parts of the language�naturally in a perfect manner. The statements as posed by Makigi are not�quite the same as your explanation of using the present simple versus the present progressive in common use. �As a teacher and a consultant you should�have noticed that. Cheers, Peter.

9 Dec 2014     

isa2
Austria

May I put in my two cents worth?
I always explained the difference in meaning to my SS with the following examples:

He likes reading the newsaper after dinner = GENERALLY
He likes to read the newspaper after dinner = A PARTICULAR SITUATION / He is INCLINED to do it now.
He would like to ski/ dance/ hike  (can only be used with the infinitive)

Hope this helps.

9 Dec 2014     

thinkinenglish
Poland

Hello all, I also use an example to illustrate the difference between the two. Following on from Mihaelabo �s clear distinction:

I like to go to the dentist every 6 months. (the habit...it �s good to do this, though I may not necessarily �enjoy � it!)
I like going to the dentist. (The process, which is less likely UNLESS a) my dentist is absolutely gorgeous, or b) I enjoy that drilling noise inside my skull...)

9 Dec 2014     

Makigi
Croatia

ok, let me see if I got it right
I like doing my homework. (I enjoy this very much)
I like to do my homework in the morning. (so I wouldn �t have to do it in the evening)

10 Dec 2014     

isa2
Austria

Thumbs up, Makigi!

10 Dec 2014     

Makigi
Croatia

yeeey! :) thank you all for your wonderful explanations and examples! You really make my life so much easier! :)

10 Dec 2014