Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can you help me, please?    

Can you help me, please?

tagoreluz1
Spain

Can you help me, please?

Do you ever use Shall I....? to ask for permission. Can I say:  Shall I come in?
Thanks a lot 

14 Dec 2014      

anapauladopazo
Argentina

Hi! shall is used for offers. to ask for permission you should use MAY/COULD/CAN. For example: may/could I come in? 

14 Dec 2014     

alien boy
Japan

�Shall � is also very old fashioned. You really don �t find it commonly used by native English speakers at all.

15 Dec 2014     

FrauSue
France

You can use "shall" in very formal English to ask for confirmation that something you were going to do anyway is acceptable to the other person. "Shall I pour the tea?" or "You look cold. Shall I close the window?" for example. If you think that your action may be unwelcome, or you need clear permission to do it, then "may" is better.

15 Dec 2014     

pcxx
Spain

I agree with alien boy that it �s quite old fashioned. Everybody is right. You use shall for offers.

15 Dec 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Maybe it �s old-fashioned if used to make a statement, but it �s quite usual for a question. 

15 Dec 2014