Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reported speech    

reported speech

tommy1996
Vietnam

reported speech

Please tell me how i must report "You should study hard Peter, �said he. _He advised.................... ➡He advised Peter to study hard. Or He advised that Peter should study hard. Thanks in advance.

15 Dec 2014      

FrauSue
France

Both are correct, but your first option sounds more natural as it is more concise.

15 Dec 2014     

kwsp
United States

I agree with FrauSue.

He advised Peter to study hard.�= He spoke to Peter and told him that he should study hard.

He advised that Peter should study hard.�= It is unclear WHO he�was speaking to.
A: What did Peter �s teacher say to his parents about the upcoming college entrance exam? �
B: He advised that Peter should study hard.�
A: What did Peter �s teacher say when Peter asked him about the upcoming exam?
B: He advised that Peter should study hard.�

15 Dec 2014     

SM��
Turkey

What about this ?? =>> He advised studying hard?

16 Dec 2014     

yanogator
United States

We usually don �t use "advise" without a direct object (a person). Although "He advised that Peter should study hard" is correct, it doesn �t sound very natural.

In SMCC �s example, we woud be much more likely to say "He recommended studying hard."

Bruce

16 Dec 2014