Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with grammar and vocabulary    

Help with grammar and vocabulary

dackala
Serbia

Help with grammar and vocabulary

Dear all,

I have some issues with punctuation, words, grammar:

Should I write: 1)   p.24; p24 or with space p 24 ( meaning page 24)? Then for example: Please turn on the p 24? Do I need the at all?
 2) Ss will consolidate their knowledge? Is this verb �consolidate � ok?
 3) Can I write : Teacher writes � take � on the board and elicits phrases related to it? Or writes down?
 4) How do you call a couple who are not married but have children and live together?
 5) Do I say: Ss read the text �Imagine � quickly on p24?

18 Dec 2014      

isa2
Austria

1) p.24 / Please go to p. 24.
2) ok
3) writes the word "take"
4) ? cohabitant parents / unmarried parents

18 Dec 2014     

yanogator
United States

On #2, do you mean that the students will put their knowledge together? If so, then "pool their knowledge" would sound better.

Bruce

18 Dec 2014     

dackala
Serbia

Thanks all. I mean in a sense to make it better to revise what they already know, is it at all possible to say �consolidate sb �s knowledge �?

Isa2, why there �s always in Teacher �s book written p24 without space and full stop? Are maybe both ways correct?

18 Dec 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1) p.24. �Please turn to page 24�. Or �open your books at page 24.�
2) Fine. Or �students to consolidate their knowledge �. 
3) Fine. No real need for �down �.
4) Mmm ... it �s rare to make this distinction! Partners, if there is no mention of children. Maybe �cohabiting parents �.
5) Is it a written instruction for someone to give? If so, �Students to quickly read the text   �Imagine � on p.24. 

18 Dec 2014     

dackala
Serbia

Thanks cunliffe, for 5) It �s for a lesson plan so it is written instruction. Here in Serbia we make a distinction between married couples with children and unmarried couples with children, both cases living together. Is then he/she still your husband/wife although you didn � marry him/her?

18 Dec 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes - a �common law � husband or wife. The thing is - nobody asks, so  nobody knows! 

18 Dec 2014     

dackala
Serbia

And when I introduce let �s say Lazar to my friend, do I say: Hi, this is my husband Lazar? And what I previously wrote I mean �turn on � the page haha ok, it happens.

18 Dec 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Dackala

In the land dowunder:

1. The �official� or �legal� way is p. 24 (with a space after the full stop) but in real everyday life all of those are used.
2. Ok. I also use that term.
3. Ok.
4. In Oz: De facto. But really, these relationships are so common these days that this term is only used for legal purposes. Husband /wife is not used and partner is the usual term, with/without chn. Wikipedia outlines the different terms in different countries.
5. Ok.
6. Ok. (Lazar)

Cheers

Jayho

18 Dec 2014     

dackala
Serbia

Wow what an extensive answer, thanks a lot Jayho!

18 Dec 2014