Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Unacceptable worksheet    

Unacceptable worksheet

fletsch
Canada

Unacceptable worksheet

Hi everyone:

I just finished finding a worksheet available today on homosexuality.  I think that this an interesting topic to bring into our ESL classrooms.  However, this worksheet I found to be extremely offensive, one-sided and very outdated.  I can �t imagine using this �worksheet � in my classroom. How do others feel about this? 

Cheers,
Fletsch

18 Feb 2009      

Damielle
Argentina

You are right fletch. Everything should be taken into account in class including the students � feelings.

That member sholud also have to  re-read the rules of the site!!!

18 Feb 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

This is a very controversial subject for anyone to touch upon and in the past contributors have complained about worksheets on profanity and swearing, and the desireability to have such worksheets on this site.  I am sure that Victor would not like to be in the business of having to censor each and every piece of work that is uploaded.

I have looked at the worksheet and find it difficult to classify it as an ESL worksheet.  There are no comprehension questions or grammar points or anything which is challenging from an ESL point of view.  It is simply a text about homosexuality and is no more useful than anyone submitting a text on nuclear power stations and telling the class to talk about that.

With regards to the content - it may indeed be old fashioned, you may indeed be offended and you can express your feelings appropriately.  But it is still an opinion and users of the site can decide for themselves if they consider it to be useful or not.

The tragedy could now be, however, that having brought this worksheet to the attention of the forum, you will now have more people who will be curious about the worksheet and download it. (I did not download it, I only read the previews)

18 Feb 2009     

fletsch
Canada

I think that it is quite easy to read this worksheet through the preview screen...

18 Feb 2009     

crazy_turtle
United Kingdom

" The depression that homosexuals suffer leads them to suicide and homicide. Fifty percent of the suicides that take place in the United States are homosexually related, and the press continually frightens us with the cruel homicides that take place among homosexuals.
They live in constant fear of growing old. Who would want a 60-year-old homosexual? They use violence in sex because they are victims in aggression. Their health is poor and they frequently have a premature death."

Wow.... did they take that from a nazi propoganda brochure?

18 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

Here goes...

Technically, as Logos said, this is not a worksheet. There is no "work" (activities, questions, etc) included with the text.  Since I teach adults I could actually use this "work sheet" as a discussion topic--my topic would be extremism and intolerance of course.  I could use this to stir-up emotion and discussion (I �m experienced in dealing with controversial themes in a classroom setting, I don �t recommend trying to use this if you aren �t experienced). 
It is very unfortuunate that there are people in the world with such hatred inside them, but it is a reality we must live with.  Some you can educate and others you can �t; whichever the case we need to be able to deal with our own emotions when we encounter a similar situation.  If we don �t keep cool the situation can escalate--even to the point of riots.

Please don �t damn me for saying this, I am very tolerant of homesexuality, but I think I will use this as a discussion topic with my advanced adult group today and even discuss he reaction it generated. 

As for censorship, this should not be banned etc--more concerning is the copied worksheet from his person that Damielle identified previously.

Douglas

key word: tolerance

18 Feb 2009     

Apryll12
Hungary

I don �t usually take part in such discussions on the forum because I think each of us can decide if the uploaded material is useful for them or not. But this time I can �t stay out of it.

I agree that it is �simply � a text that may be used as a �comprehension check type � of an exercise or as to generate discussion about a rather controversial topic.

But please let me add my pesonal opinion as far as the content is concerned - as a defence for homosexuals. My best friend is homosexual and he is a great man with a lot of virtues and values. His sexual preference does not make him less! Being very close to such a person - both physically and emotionally - I know quite a lot about this matter, and I know and would like to state that homosexuality is NOT a question of free will or decision!!!!

As for the �worksheet �, I agree that it shouldn �t be reported as a non-ESL resource even though it has no follow-up exercises. Sometimes a good text is enough to create great ideas in out heads....

Krisztina

ps sorry for the personal opinion but I couldn �t help it.

18 Feb 2009     

xiles31
China

I �m not sure if I should laugh or cry after reading this... obviously our friend hasn �t had a lot of contacts with homosexuals in her life... I am gay and I don �t make a big deal out of it. In fact, I was at peace with myself until I read this worksheet... now I �m a bit scared of premature death...

Censorship is not an answer... Responsibility is!

18 Feb 2009     

genzianella
Italy

yes, I find it very outdated at very offensive, to say the least. It is true that everyone has the right to express his/her opinion but it is our duty, as teachers, to offer unbiased contributions to our students. We should offer them "food for thought" but then let them decide which side to take. In this case the matter is totally different, though : the ws shows intolerance, it tries to teach what �s right or wrong (I don �t know on which basis the author knows homosexuality is wrong, has she recently talked to God? Has He told her so? Has He told her to pass the message along?). How would a gay student feel when reading the ws? I think the world has already too much intolerance and I �m afraid I see it growing every day, there�s no need to teach intolerance in class, pupils can pick it up only too easily in everyday life! I thik the ws should be removed! If the author doesn�t feel comfortable addressing such a subject (fair enough!) there are so many topics to address, without offending anyone!

18 Feb 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

As I said in a comment, ARE YOU SURE YOU �RE NOT DECRIBING YOURSELF?????

Because I think you are the one who is MENTALLY ILL. I just hope you are NOT

18 Feb 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

As I said in a comment, ARE YOU SURE YOU �RE NOT DECRIBING YOURSELF?????

Because I think you are the one who is MENTALLY ILL. I just hope you are NOT a

18 Feb 2009     

1    2    3    Next >