Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > I`m just curious    

I`m just curious

isabelle99
Monaco

Hi mena,
Exams are organised nationally once a year. The 4 skills are not compulsory yet. Sometimes you just have a written exam, sometimes a listening, sometimes both, etc... each section differs. But i was wondering: how do you manage to organise a speaking test? Because in our school we have around 80 pupils in each level (divided into 3 classes) and we find it very difficult to organise those tests because it would take hours and hours to assess each pupil (10min each) on a regular basis; So we just ask one of them to tell about a lesson at the beginning of each lesson but noboby is satisfied with this system.

18 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

In American schools, a test were questions made by the teacher to see how much of the material the students remembered. It also gave the teacher an over view of what needed to be repeated.
An exam was a more official and comprehensive test, not made by the teacher, to see if the students had covered the curriculum for that class level.

I, too, make small tests along the way, but they wouldn �t really help anyone here, because they are specialized according to the material we have covered.
Our end of term exams for 9th and 10th graders are made by the ministry of education.

But, say many teachers here have all read "Charlotte �s Web" with their classes and someone posted a reading/question test for that book - then we could share!

So I guess the terms test and exam are different from country to country.
L

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Yes I guess what we say and what we mean can always be quite different. For example test and exam are similar to me in my Canadian experience, the small thing you call a test we call a quiz! : ) so there is another word to throw in the mix!

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Just to be clear...I think some have misunderstood my question as a criticism. I was genuinely curious! Simply, if I had contributed the material, I would have called it a `reading`. I wasn`t saying that reading is the right category and to call it a test is wrong. I wondered why others saw it specifically as a `test` rather than just another reading. I do understand now many people are specifically looking for reading material for a reading test and therefore people are calling them tests. I wasn`t and I`m not saying anything is wrong with it, I just wondered why. I really meant no offense to anyone. Pheww!

18 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I didn �t perceive that anyone thought this was a criticism at all.
I found this discussion very interesting to see how different quizzes, tests and exams are around the world!!!
I �m sure no one took offense at all.
Have a good day!
L

18 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

We call reading comprehensions - Unseens.  Usually they are used as practice exercises for checking comprehension and writing skills.  If we use them for a mark they are usually graded as a quiz not test although there are a lot of schools here that include an unseen in their tests.

Unseens are reading exercises - I would prefer they didn �t include grammar.  We test grammar in quizzes and test.

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Hi Libertybelle

I`m glad you weren`t offended Libertybelle, but I got a PM that lead me to believe that at least someone was so I thought I`d better clarify.

18 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

It happened to me that i sent a very jocular sms to a friend of mine, which she thought to be a bone i wanted to pick with her, and it took several more sms �s to clear things up and eventually get a laugh from her. It could have been avoided if i had put a SMILEY!

Freddie, what you should do, in order to avoid being misunderstood, is add a smiley just to set the tone in which your message should be interpreted. Like me Cool. Then, you �ll avoid multiple interpretations of what you wanted to say and how you wanted it to be understood, and also avoid the PM �s (gz, every time someone uses the ... is it an abbreviation or an acronym? the latter?? ... anyway, i always think they �re talking about a Prime Minister... And i don �t know why, but i always think of Tony Blaire! And he �s never been my PM! Ahhh, such a long train of thought ...) ... Where was I? Yes, the PM �s that would give out to you. Thumbs Up

18 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

Thanks for the tip Ivona Smile!!

Cheers

Freddie

18 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

There you go!
If you had a pic like SILKE �S Wink with that more-fascinating-than-Mona-Lisa �s smile, a smile that would melt what �s left of both North and South poles, i doubt you �d get into trouble just like you did today! Even when she wants to ... tooo ... well, to give out to someone, i cannot take her seriously! I always interpret it as if it was said in a playful, lighthearted, chirpy-cheerful manner! LOL
Isn �t she a dear?? Heart

P.S. D�oh!! You already have a cheerful carefree jolly pic yourself! How could someone ... how ... but ... but ... Ahhhh, i give up. Cool

18 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2