Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > AT : A Preposition of Place and Time    

AT : A Preposition of Place and Time

papadeli
Greece

AT : A Preposition of Place and Time

Prepositions have always been a headache to all learners of English. I’ve been searching – for a looong time -to find memory tricks to help students remember them. So, I started drawing pictures such as the one above. If you want to know how I present cards like this one, you can read more here.

Greetings from Greece,

7 Jan 2015      

Mariethe House
France

Papadeli : Just want to say how creative you are . your drawings are so vivacious, colourful, varied, ... Just like you probably and I want to really thank you for your generosity!!.Hug

I have a pupil I help for homework and he really has memory problems as far as grammar rules are concerned ... in French!
COuld you give me some advice on how to help him memorize grammar rules! I am  a poor artist but I can try! 

At thz moment he is working on relative pronouns and relative clauses  . He really finds it difficult to produce any examples of his own. I think he is dyslexic. Do you think pictures could help? Could you give me one example, I could start from and then build my own?
Thanks a lot

EDIT I don�t want to cover your answer dear friend but i want to thank you warmheartedly for the very complete response you gave me! I will certainly have a look at some of the links you mention and in particular the grammar book. In fact, the boy is French but I think it would be a good idea to teach him his own language as a foreign language with FLE books with lots of pictures and illustrations. I am going to investigate further.
Thank you again for taking some of your precious time to  answer my ...  questio
n Big smile

7 Jan 2015     

papadeli
Greece

Thank you, Mariette, for your warm comments. The truth is, that I �ve decided to post some of my work on this site for two reasons:

1. My ppts were rejected more than 3 times in the past because some people here thought that the drawings were not mine. I tried to convince them but it didn �t work. Still, I wanted -and still do- to share my work with great people from here, who inspired me through their printables - for example the two girls from ESLchallenge - or through their comments and ideas - uslteacher, Lynne, frenchfrog....-
  2. and also collect feedback since I really want to know if my flashcards work with others as they do with my students. Because I �ve really experienced miracles!

I use this kind of flashcards with all kinds of students. Either dyslexic or not. Even adults(!)  Not only do these cards make them remember the new words and rules but Ss are also more motivated through out the lesson. I wish I had started drawing 20 years ago. I would have created a new kind of visual dictionary and more students with learning disabilities would have been helped....

Let �s focus on your student now. YES, I strongly believe that this kind of pictures help. I have tried it with my own kids in Greek. This is my way of drawing:
I choose to draw only confusing, difficult words. In the beginning, I used pencils and paper. For the time being, I �m using powerpoint shapes. It takes me 3 hours (and sometimes more) to draw one picture. 

The rules are: The drawings of words must reveal
  1.  pronunciation
  2.  spelling
  3.  meaning

and also be a part of a bigger story so that to revise though retelling/rewriting the story. You can read here more.

What I know about teaching French is a book that uses memory tricks -a different kind- to help Ss remember. Have a look here. You can also download the book.

Want more ideas?  Be sure to follow me on Facebook , English Tricks 4UPinterest , Slideboom or Scoopit and sign up for emails -use my blog to do that-  to keep up with all the latest ideas. You might also enjoy some of my best links.

Hugs from Greece,

7 Jan 2015     

Mariethe House
France

EDIT I don´t want to cover your answer dear friend but i want to thank you warmheartedly for the very complete response you gave me! I will certainly have a look at some of the links you mention and in particular the grammar book. In fact, the boy is French but I think it would be a good idea to teach him his own language as a foreign language with FLE books with lots of pictures and illustrations. I am going to investigate further.
Thank you again for taking some of your precious time to  answer my ...  question Big smile

7 Jan 2015     

papadeli
Greece

I just found some Cards you might find interesting.The more I search the more I find!!!! Isn�t it great? Because of your post, I found all these similar cards! Posters, as well.

Not to mention that I can get millions of ideas through them, going on... I didn�t know there are so many resources similar to mine! I�m sure you�ll get addicted to these. I keep writing because I want to link all my findings. It�s endless!

There are also sites that offer tips and some other tricks.
It really takes a lot of time to get prepared but don �t forget: one teaches, two learn!

view the site

Guess what: I�ve found flashcards in pdf!

In case you find sth more like my flashcards in French, I �d appreciate it if you let me know.

Nice chatting with you,

7 Jan 2015     

Mariethe House
France

Sophia, this is fabulous! I think I �ve got enough resources for the rest of my life!!

Thank you sooooooo much!I I  will inform you whenever I find something suitable myself. 

8 Jan 2015