Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I have much money?? I have a lot of money??    

I have much money?? I have a lot of money??

Lenonka
Poland

I have much money?? I have a lot of money??

This probably is a "stupid question" but I encountered a problem I don�t have a solution for... Could anyone tell me, whether this sentence is correct:

I have much money

I thought it is correct to say "a lot of money" but now I �m confused. Could anyone tell me what the rules are concerning much/many/a lot of in such sentences?.. Thanks a lot, have a nice day!

18 Feb 2009      

libertybelle
United States

You have a lot of money.
but regarding the rules........... I �ll leave that to the others!

(You can say he has much money in the bank - but that sounds to me more like written English - I would always say he has a lot of money in the bank)
L

18 Feb 2009     

Ticas
Portugal

I have much money is correct as well as I have a lot of money.

The rules are : You use MUCH for uncountable words and MANY for countable ones.

A LOT OF and LOTS OF can be used with both.

Money is uncountable; coins or banknotes are countable.

I hope I �ve been useful!! Have a nice day!!

18 Feb 2009     

Vana
Croatia

I agree with Ticas! Smile The only difference is that �much � in positive sentences is more formal than �a lot of �.

Greetings from Split!

18 Feb 2009     

sedefg�l
Turkey

As far as I know, "much" is used in "negative sentences".

"I haven �t got much money" 

Also, "many "is used in "negative sentences" too.

"There aren �t many students in the class."

But, I am not sure of that rule anyway..

18 Feb 2009     

LazyFox
South Africa

There is a rule; In positive sentences you use "a lot of" or "lots of" for countable and uncountable                         (money is uncountable).  I have a lot of money.
                        For negative and question sentences  you use many for countable and much for                         uncountable.  I don �t have much money. How much money do you have?

So you wouldn �t say I have much money, you would say I have a lot of money.
Hope it helped! =)

Pozdrav Splitu!

18 Feb 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello Lenonka,
Look I searched the BBC World Service and got you this explanation by Mark Shea.

Mark Shea answers:

For this  question , I think the original advice was very good: we tend to use �many � and �much � in questions and negatives, and use �lots of � or �a lot of � in affirmative statements - certainly in spoken English at least.
For example:
"There are lots of people in the street" AND "That is a lot of milk" are affirmative statements.
"There aren �t many people in the street," is negative and "How much milk do you want?" is a question.

Grammatically speaking, there is nothing wrong with:
"There are many people in the park," but in spoken English, we �re far more likely use:
"There are lots of people in the park."

But in more formal writing, it �s probably true that we prefer �many � and �much � to �a lot of � and �lots of �, so if you �re speaking or writing to friends, it should be: "There are lots of cars in the street," or "People have written a lot about it."
But if you want to be more formal, perhaps "There were many cars in the street that day" or "Much has been written about it" might sound better.

I hope this explanation is satisfying !!!
Hugs,
Nebal

18 Feb 2009     

malouk
United States

Both sentences are correct. As Nebal says, the difference is that much is preferred in formal context, especially that used by academia.

18 Feb 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi,

I learnt:

How much money have you got?  I �ve got lots of money or a lot of money. Smile

I have never heard of I have much money although you can say I have very little money.

Good luck!!

18 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

Regardless of it all, I agree with Liberty Belle.   "It just feels right."

Douglas

18 Feb 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I believe Ticas is correct,  but in spoken English in North America we use I have a lot of money instead of much money.

18 Feb 2009