Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching Kids    

Teaching Kids

mariabocc
Brazil

Teaching Kids

Hello...

I �ve been a teacher for quite some time...my area is teens/adults...but a friend asked me to teach kids around 4 &5 years old  and not alphabetized...so... I �d like to ask you some ideas/help that I can use in the classroom...I appreciated a lot...thank you so much...

xxxx

12 Jan 2015      

Elina21
Greece

Hello!

Where can I start? You need to have some categories in mind, i.e., colours, numbers (up to 10), farm animals, fruit, school objects, sports and seasons. You can find plenty of free downloadable colouring pages when you google them but also easy activities for preschoolers. A good site is dltk, but many more, just Google for the things you wish to teach. Use easy songs from  youtube for each category and always repeat vocabulary you have covered by combing categories, e.g. when you cover colours and you teach them animals, you can ask them to colour, for example: 2 blue horses (or 2 yellow apples) depending on the vocabulary you covered. A useful book is Brown bear, brown bear what do you see? which you may also find as a song on youtube. Another one is the very hungry caterpillar and the Spot series.

What you need to do is to have a slow pace which many different and varied activities per lesson. You need to include in each lesson, identification, drawing and colouring, arts and crafts (easy ones because they have difficulties with scissors), singing and especially action songs and dancing.

It �s exhausting but rewarding! 
If I think of anything else I �ll send you a message. I hope that helps you for now!
Cheers!
Elina21

12 Jan 2015     

mariabocc
Brazil

Thanks Elina...you sure helped me a lot...now I won �t lose my hair....LOL

God Bless You...

XXXX

12 Jan 2015     

papadeli
Greece

Here �s a good start

Greetings from Greece,

12 Jan 2015     

mariabocc
Brazil

Thanks Elina...you sure helped me a lot...now I won �t lose my hair....LOL

God Bless You...

XXXX

12 Jan 2015     

mariabocc
Brazil

Thanks Papadeli...very nice idea...I can sleep peacefully...LOL

By the way...your site is super...congrats...

XXXX

12 Jan 2015