Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > They are all stairs but...    

They are all stairs but...

TMMF
Portugal

They are all stairs but...

Hi dear friends!

Could you please give me some help on the best way to explain the difference / similarity of the following words: stairs / stairway / staircase / stairwell

Thanks a million!!

12 Jan 2015      

yanogator
United States

The first three are the same - a set of steps. A stairwell is a shaft through a building that contains a stairway. Bruce

12 Jan 2015     

FrauSue
France

For me, "stairs" describes a set of individual steps which make up a passage to the next floor.
Examples: go up the stairs, come down the stairs, the child is sitting on the stairs, the coat cupboard is under the stairs, we need to clean the stairs.

A "staircase" is a set of stairs seen as a unity. You cannot "go up a staircase", for example.
Examples: this staircase is 18th-century, the staircase in the new house is not very safe

A "stairwell" is the shaft, as Bruce says.
Examples: He fell down the stairwell, please don �t leave bikes in the stairwell.

I wouldn �t use the word "stairway" in UK English except in the phrase "stairway to heaven"! 

13 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

I disagree with FrauSue on staircase. There is even a book (and movie) called Up the Down Staircase, and a line in them - "You are going up the down staircase." I will agree, though, that "go up those stairs" is far more common than "go up that staircase." Bruce

13 Jan 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would be much more likely to use �staircase � in a context which means a staircase as an entity, as in �We need to decorate the staircase � and that means the walls. I think �stairwell � is the bit at the bottom of the stairs and �stairway � is unusual, but coming in. Is it creeping Americanisation? I think we have more or less a consensus here!

13 Jan 2015     

FrauSue
France

Thanks for your comment, Bruce - I wonder if it is a UK/US English issue. "Go up the staircase" sounds strange to my UK ears as it doesn �t imply climbing, somehow, but rather a continuous movement. I went up the stairs, but the dado rail went all the way up the staircase. But often I (Scottish) disagree with my husband (English) on vocabulary issues, so it could be a regional difference.

TMMF - I hope this helps you rather than confusing you! 

14 Jan 2015