Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Numeracy    

Numeracy

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Numeracy

There is a big drive in our school to introduce literacy across the curriculum. In EAL, I �ve suggested asking each student to count how many capital letters are on the board and then they have to subtract the lowest answer from the highest. I also ask them to estimate how many words are on the board and again, do a subtraction. Then I �m stuck! Any ideas?

15 Jan 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

When you teach giving directions and finding places around town on a map, could you ask the students to calculate the length of various routes from one place to another? What is the shortest route, the longest? If dirivng how long will it take to get there? If walking slowly (a 60 minute mile)  how long will it take?

When you teach countable and non countable nouns, can you use a recipe and ask questions about converting a recipe from grams to cups. How many servings are there? How much does a serving weigh for x number of students? How much does each student get to eat when you divide the dish into portions? 

15 Jan 2015     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Maybe one of my fairy-tales could help.

15 Jan 2015     

douglas
United States

You could ask birthdates, ages, etc. and then ask things like:

How much older is... than...?" or

How many day´s until.. ?

There are 365 days in the year today is 16 January how many days are left in the year? (365-16= ?)

How many days will be left in the yera on Tom �s birthday? etc. etc.

16 Jan 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Great stuff, guys, thank you, I �m getting there with this! And thanks for the link Mary, I �m gonna have a look.

16 Jan 2015