Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > some help please! (grammar / voc)    

some help please! (grammar / voc)

omarengteacher
Peru

some help please! (grammar / voc)

Hello, I �m correcting a bunch of reports. Can you help me with these expressions?  thanks in advance:
1.She �s responsible with THE homework (Isn �t it better to say "she is responsible with homework"? - it �s a general description about a person)
2. She wants to be the best in all the class (My choice would simply be "She wants to be the best IN (her) class"). 
3. She can do her dreams (is that even possible? I think you can only say "She can make her dreams come true")
4. She is loving with the ones who trust. (I think it is "she is loving with the ones SHE trust" - Is it ok to say "... with the ones WHO SHE trust"?)

Thanks for your help again!!! 

18 Jan 2015      

LadyZombie
Japan

For number 1, you �re correct. Since they �re making a statement about her being responsible with homework in general omitting the "the" is the best option.

2. That would work fine. Another option is "She wants to be the best in the class", omitting "all". 

3. Again, you �re pretty spot on. Seems like that �s what they �re trying to say anyways. If you want to leave her basic sentence as it is, you could switch out "do" with reach or achieve. "She can reach/achieve her dreams."

4.  Almost there. Just need to tack on an S. "She is loving with the ones she trustS."  As for the second sentence I think, and please correct me if I �m wrong, that it would be "She is loving with the ones WHOM she trustS." Again, you need the S on trust and I believe it should be whom. 

Hopefully that was helpful. :) 

18 Jan 2015     

jannabanna
France

Hi,

As a native speaker (British) I would say:

1. She �s responsible for the homework (here you are talking about the teacher aren �t you?)

2. She wants to be the best in the class.

3. She can make her dreams come true.

4. Taking your original sentence, "She is loving with the ones who trust." it �s difficult to know what is meant. Could it be: "She �s nice to the ones who trust her." We would need to know the context.

What do other native speakers think?

Janet

19 Jan 2015     

millmo
France

As another Native speaker I agree with jannabanna. For question 4. I would put " she is loving towards the ones she trusts

19 Jan 2015     

douglas
United States

The question in #1 is what you are they trying to say:

"She is responsible with (her) homework" (no the) --she turns it in on time and complete, etc.

"She is responsible for (the)homework." ("the" is optional)- she makes sure everyone gets theirs and turns it in, etc.

19 Jan 2015