Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How can I separate words in English ?    

How can I separate words in English ?

malouk
United States

Sorry, Ivona but Libertybell is right. the be-  in believe is a preffix while - lieve comes from  

from Proto-Indo-European base etymology *leubh- "to like, desire" . Check an etymology dictionary like http://www.etymonline.com/

as to the way to divide words I would agree with Douglas according to syllables and his way  sounds great to teach youngsters

19 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

mmm ... interesting

I checked the Australian National Nictionary (Macquarie) and unbelievably one of the 110,000 words in it is lieve  - described as an adverb and referring to lief

So then, in disbelief,  I looked up lief and it said
lief adverb 1. Also lieve. gladly; willingly. - adjective Archaic 2. willing. 3. beloved; dear. (ME leef)

Well, still not quite believing this I checked my fave online etymolgy site and it said, amongst other things, A most useful word, now, alas, all but extinct. !!!

So, once again I have learnt something new - believe/belief has a prefix, although commonly unknown.  I wish I had known this two days ago when I was teaching word building.

We never stop learning.

19 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Wow, you �ve been very busy this morning! And i wasn �t around!
Without even intending it consciously, i made you learn sth new today! I lit the candle! Do i get extra points for that and get to keep the crown longer?? Smile

Anyway, to lovely Libertybelle, i didn �t say BE- isn �t a prefix. Just said that i didn �t see it as one in the word �believe �. Thanks to the diligent researchers, my eyes were opened. It �s just that i remembered my morphology days at university when our professor said that in disappointment only -ment was the suffix and that dis- wasn �t the prefix because the meaning is totally different from the supposed root appoint.

(Gz, i hope i �m telling you about THE word that was in Q then ... Embarrassed)

Good work people!

19 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Actually... Ivona your teacher might have been wrong about the word "disappointment"... and here is my reasoning why:

Appoint - means to designate to fill an office or a position..

Disappoint - means "fail to meet" // OR // "to prevent the fulfilment of"  SO NOW - I am sort of willing to bet that this comes from the olden days, when one was appointed to a military post, then because of disobeying/or not living up to expectations - that person was "disappointed" from the post...

SO

Disappointment - would come from the feeling of loss or shame of such a demotion... so today we use it like we do - meaning "a feeling of dissatisfaction that results when your expectations are not realized..."

Anyways, that is MY reasoning behind the word and nobody can tell different!! LOL *covers ears and sings* Lalala... I can �t hear you!! Clown

19 Feb 2009     

offstage
Brazil

Dear All,

Syllabication is always a difficult issue to teach. Recently I had to write something about that. There are some rules that may help you:

1. To find the number of syllables count the vowels in the word.

2. Subtract any silent vowels (like the silent "e" at the end of a word or the second vowel when two vowels are together in a syllable)

3. subtract one vowel from every diphtong.

4. the number of vowels sounds left is the same as the number of syllables.

Example: came - this word has two vowels, but the "e" is silent. Therefore, it has one syllable.

5. Divide between two middle consonants: let-ter

6. divide any compound words, prefixes, suffixes and roots which have vowel sounds:

Example: un-happy / care-ful / hope-less / stop-ping / dis-count

7. One syllable words are never divided: ball / stop

Well, there are some more rules. But I hope this may help all of you. If your need any further information, let me know. Regards from Ursula, from Brazil.

19 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Yes Zora, you �re right - I checked my loyal etymology site and it says
disappoint Look up disappoint at Dictionary.com
1434, from M.Fr. desappointer "undo the appointment, remove from office," from des- "dis" + appointer "appoint." Modern sense of "to frustrate expectations" (1494) is from secondary meaning of "fail to keep an appointment."

It �s amazing how I  learn so much from these blogs.

In regards to syllabication, my primary spelling book outlines three basic rules for young learners that are a good starting point for ESL/EFL adults if you wish to use this approach:

Rule 1:
Where there are double consonants e.g. yel / low, sum / mer, rib / bon

Rule 2:
When there is one consonant between two vowels e.g. mu / sic, lo / cal, pi /rate

Rule 3:
When a world ends in �le � e.g. nee / dle, sim / ple, cas / tle

19 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

I was right! That is so... Amazing... LOL I just looked at the word logically and went from there!!

23 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2