Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary queries and 1 grammar question    

vocabulary queries and 1 grammar question

monder78
Poland

vocabulary queries and 1 grammar question

Hello  I  cannot  find the exact counterparts  and  I am not sure if I think correctly, so please help me with my doubts  :
1. I can hear  sound of the sea in the shell which I bought  during my last holiday. 

2.  what is the proper verb  in the case when one car  overtakes the car  coming in front  of it  and  from the opposite direction   another car comes so that the overtaking  car  almost hits it. Is it third line rule  ?, but what about the verb ?

3.   in my language we also have an expression which in literal translation sounds  this way  : the rule of limited trust. It refers to the situation in which  a driver  should be always prepared that another driver can fail to follow traffic regulations .What about a similar expression in English ?

4.  Julia wears glasses. She  ( must/have to)  wear glasses  since she  was very young  ? I presume it �s    has to 
Thanks in advance 

23 Jan 2015      

FrauSue
France

1. I can hear the sound of the sea in the shell which I bought during my last holiday.
2. what is the proper verb in the case when one car overtakes the car coming in front of it and from the opposite direction another car comes so that the overtaking car almost hits it. Is it third line rule ?, but what about the verb ? We have the phrase "suicide lane" in UK English for the third lane between two lanes which go in opposite directions, but for the situation you describe I can �t think of a particular saying. Sorry.
3. in my language we also have an expression which in literal translation sounds this way : the rule of limited trust. It refers to the situation in which a driver should be always prepared that another driver can fail to follow traffic regulations .What about a similar expression in English ? Trust no-one? I �m not sure here. Again, we have the concept but I don �t know if there is a particular phrase. My husband tells me to "assume everyone else on the road is an idiot" but that �s just his way of putting it!
4. Julia wears glasses. She ( must/have to) wear glasses since she was very young ? I presume it ´s has to It should be "has had to" because we use the present perfect with "since".

Hope that helps! 

23 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

3. In the US, we have the term "defensive driving" or "driving defensively", which includes being prepared for the stupidity of other drivers.

1 and 4. FrauSue is right.

Bruce

23 Jan 2015     

monder78
Poland

Thank you for your  kind answers

23 Jan 2015