Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I NEED YOUR HELP,PLEASE    

I NEED YOUR HELP,PLEASE

dileking54
Turkey

I NEED YOUR HELP,PLEASE

DEAR COLLEAGUES,
ı �M CONFUSED.I want to ask you a question. Which one is correct?
1) I have got a headache.
2) I have a headache.
When I was  in university, my councellor said me the first one is correct, but I see the second one in nearly all books, especially my course book in school . I don �t know which to teach to my students. Is there an important differency? or IS IT JUST A DIFFERENCY BETWEEN AMERICAN  ENGLISH AND BRITISH ENGLISH? 

19 Feb 2009      

Nuria08
Spain

Both sentences are correct. It depends on whether you want to use the verb "have got" or "have"; in the first case, the question will be "Have you got a headache?" and in the second case the question will be: "Do you have a headache?"
You can teach your students either of them!

19 Feb 2009     

alexcure
Poland

Agree, both are correct, I �ve got a headache is spoken in England - I guess the Americans will rather say I have a headache. 

19 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

"Have got" is not the Present Perfect tense.... You can �t say "I get a headache" as if you were meaning that you "have a headache"...

"You get a headache..." means that something gives you headaches!

i.e.

"You get headaches from loud noise" // "She gets headaches after drinking coffee"...

19 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

We already discussed have got / have here:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2843

19 Feb 2009     

adina.carril
Spain

Both are correct!!!it only depends the tense.

byeeeee

19 Feb 2009     

kriszcsel
Romania

A few weeks ago I made a worksheet about have and have got, check it out, hope it will be useful. (this is not an advertisment of y work, just a hand to help you) :)

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=172269#thetop

Have a nice day you all!
Krisztina

19 Feb 2009     

urpillay
Spain

I agree with you. I think both are correct, the only difference is that you are using different tenses and "have got" is more used in England while "have" is more used in America. In Spain, for example, as we are closed to England we teach "have got". But in Latin America teachers teach the another variety.

INMA ALC�ZAR

19 Feb 2009     

dileking54
Turkey

really,thanks a lot, Colleagues. YOU ARE ALL GREAT TEACHERS.THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH

19 Feb 2009