Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Native speakers, help please....    

Native speakers, help please....

Mar0919
Mexico

Native speakers, help please....

Hello, dear colleagues! Hoping you are all doing well. Can native speakers please help me out with this doubt. I know that many of us have "almost" native pronunciation, but even though I have a tiny doubt. The words in question are "court" and "quart". For a native speaker, are they pronounced EXACTLY the same? To me, there WAS  a slight difference that made it easy to the listener distinguish which word was pronounced, but in a spelling bee contest that I took my kids to, the speaker pronounced the words exactly the same, and my student was confused. 

What do you think?

Hugs,

Mar 

28 Jan 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi there. No, they are not the same. I can �t do phonetic transcription, so this is the best I can do: court = kort and quart= kwort.

28 Jan 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

As a speaker of American English, I �ll second Lynne �s explanation. I don �t know of any dialects in which court and quart are pronounced the same.

28 Jan 2015     

Mar0919
Mexico

Ahhhhhhh! Thanks! You saved my self-esteem! LOL! I was beginning to think I had been wrong all my life! I grew up in the US, and learned English as a native speaker, so I was very confused when I heard the word quart pronounced as court. Unfortunately, my student student did not make it to the finals, because he heard the word COURT, and spelled it as such, and the word on the screen was QUART.... THANKS for your help!

28 Jan 2015     

FrauSue
France

In fact, I would say court "cort" (long "o" as in "core" and quart "kwart" ("a" as in "walk").
Listen on www.forvo.com to hear the difference more clearly.

29 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

There are many regional pronunciations in the US, and in some rural areas, "court" and "quart" are both pronounced "kort". However, this is definitely non-standard pronunciation, and in a spelling bee, that is unacceptable. I �ve deinitely heard people say "a kort of milk". Although "kwort" is more common here, some people also say "kwart", as FrauSue said.

There was a comedy group (Canadian, I think) called Kids in the Hall, and a character in one of their skits repeatedly said, "Give me a quarter" (but pronounced it "korter"), so I guess it �s found in Canada, too.

Bruce

29 Jan 2015     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thanks everyone! I feel better now. Even though my student, did not make it, I feel better knowing I was 98% right in teaching him the two words pronounced with that slight difference. But, hey, at least with one of my 5th graders and one of my 6th graders, I did get first place! :) 

Thanks again to all!!!

Hugs!

Mar 

29 Jan 2015     

yanogator
United States

Hey, Mar,
You should probably point this out to those who run the spelling bee, so that maybe they �ll be more careful in the future.

In spelling bees here, if a contestant is uncertain, he or she can ask for the word to be used in a sentence, and to ask for the definition. That would have eliminated the confusion.

Bruce

30 Jan 2015