Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help with word    

help with word

MarionG
Netherlands

help with word

Dear all,
I have a question. I used to work with an older version of Word and the newer Word 10 is at times very frustrating to say the least. I figured out most of it, but I �m stuck on one thing in particular.
In the old word I could stretch and re-shape the WordArt. It was possible to  simply drag it from the corners into any size you wanted. I know you can change the size in the new word by changing the font size, but it always keeps the proportions of the original font. In the old word, I could squeeze it, or stretch it to fit my needs. I really miss the possibility to create very tall letters while keeping the same width for example. I have been going through tutorials on youtube but culdn �t find what I was looking for.
Does any of you, creative worksheet makers, know how to do this? Is it at all possible in the new word? Could you please direct me towards a good tutorial?

Thanks

4 Feb 2015      

you_per7
Algeria

Hi, MarionG

I have checked some tutorials (in Arabic). It seems that stretching and re-shaping opption is still available on Word 2010.
You can see this video.

4 Feb 2015     

MarionG
Netherlands

Dear you per7,
Thank you for your response. I watched the video but it didn �t answer my question. I noticed that it is possible to reshape the smart art (the last part of the tutorial), but I didn �t see how it is possible to re-size/shape word art, other than simply enlarging the font (which keeps the original proportions).
I hope to find a way to re-size/shape word art, by pulling at its sides or corners, so I control the ratio between width and height.
Thank you in any case for your willingness to help! 

4 Feb 2015     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Marion,

Just try to open your document with WORD. I mean that instead of clckijng of the document to open it click on the right then open with WORD.

That way you should be able to work as you like.

Hugs.

Maryse.

4 Feb 2015     

Apodo
Australia

Is this what you need?  I had to hunt for this too!

Home Tab – Insert Word Art

Then click on the Word Art you inserted – Click Format (under Drawing Tools)

Format Tab -  Text effects  (Bottom of 3 tools to the right of Word Art Styles)

Click Transform – There are all the shapes.

4 Feb 2015     

HiFly
Austria

A Small tip: Save the document in Word 97-2007 format and then the old WordArt will be available. 

4 Feb 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

https://app.box.com/s/ngr0t28uv9soo0wlugavq7s6e4d5qd6e Simple Illustrated Tutorial to download.

4 Feb 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Marion

Here is another way:

Save your Word 2010 doc as a Word1997-2003(.doc). The WordArt will be the old word art. Add what WordArt you like. Then save it again as a Word 2010 (.docx).  The old WordArt tools will then be there but everything else will be Word 2010. However, you won�t have access to the new WordArt tools in this particular document.

Cheers

Jayho

5 Feb 2015     

MarionG
Netherlands

OH, great, I am going to try it with my next worksheet! Thank you all so much!

5 Feb 2015