Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help!    

I need your help!

Sirenevyimetallik
Russian Federation

I need your help!

Dear friends!
Can you help me with one question? My students are studying the topic "Infinitive of purpose" and we are also studying "for + noun" construction. So I have a question: is it possible to say I WENT TO TOWN FOR MEETING MY FRIENDS or only I WENT TO TOWN  TO MEET MY FRIENDS? And is it possible to use "for + gerund" instead of "for + noun" ?
Thank you in advance!

6 Feb 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

In my opinion, you can say, "I WENT TO TOWN FOR a MEETING with MY FRIENDS." (the purpose of going to town).
But I would not say, "I WENT TO TOWN FOR MEETING MY FRIENDS
 because it is this structure
 I went to _______ for _________ my friends.
and sounds too much like the structure
I WENT TO Jail FOR aussaltING MY FRIENDS,
where �for � sounds like �as a result of � or �due to �.
In this structure, "I went to town" sounds like the consequence for meeting the friends, instead of the purpose. 

6 Feb 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

In your sentence, (I WENT TO TOWN FOR MEETING) we do not have a noun, we have a gerund, so it is not correct: For + gerund cannot express a purpose, like you would say in Russian. (для встречи) 

"Meeting"  can be used as a verbal noun, as in Mary �s example, (I WENT TO TOWN FOR a MEETING) where it has an article, but such verbal nouns are few.  

6 Feb 2015     

Sirenevyimetallik
Russian Federation

Thank you very much for your replies! It was very useful! As far as I understood I can say, for instance: I �M SAVING MONYE FOR A BUYING OF A NEW CAR. Or I BOUGHT A MASK, A SNORKEL AND FLIPPERS FOR A SWIMMING IN THE SEA. Here �s one more example: I �VE FLOWN THOUSANDS OF KILOMETRES FOR A MEETING WITH YOU. Am I right?

6 Feb 2015