Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > GRAMMAR POINT    

GRAMMAR POINT

Greek Professor
Greece

GRAMMAR POINT

Hello all...
I have  query!!!
Could someone enlighten me with the different please..I need a simple explanation for my students.

A) Not to have made
B) Never having done...

Sentence: 
..........one, I wouldn �t have a clue.
B is the answer...

Thank you in advanced

7 Feb 2015      

dmharg
Greece

You need present participle  in Greek (since you are Greek) is (-ontas,      mi exontas kani....)

7 Feb 2015     

Greek Professor
Greece

And what does(A) mean????

7 Feb 2015     

isa2
Austria

Can you specify the context, please?

7 Feb 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Here are two possible contexts for such a construction (never having done): 

How can they balance so long in a handstand? 
Never having done one, I wouldn �t have a clue. (One = a handstand)
I have never done one, so I wouldn �t have the slightest idea of how it is done.

What is the procedure of  replacing a heart valve?
Never having done one, I wouldn �t have a clue. (One = the valve replacement procedure) 
I have never done one, so I wouldn �t have the slightest idea of how it is done.

Here are two possible contexts for the other construction (not to have made)

How silly of me not to have made the connection between music and mathematics. It is so obvious.
How silly of me not to have recognized the relationship between music and mathematics. It is so obvious.

People make choices today that their future selves would prefer not to have made
People do things today that at some point, they will wish they had not done. 

--Mary 

7 Feb 2015     

dmharg
Greece

Not to have made    this one doesn �t make any sense to me and seems completely incorrect.  

I have encountered it in structures like : You should not have made such a mistake. The past participle in the beggining of the sentence is translated (-menos) in Greek

8 Feb 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

"not to have made" is quite possible and correct, when you need a perfect infinitive form, as in the following sentence:

He seems not to have made the right decision. (He seems NOW that he did not make the right decision IN THE PAST)

Hope this helps.

Giorgi 

8 Feb 2015