Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > the other end?    

the other end?

ironik
Australia

the other end?

Hello everyone, hope you �re having a not-so-freaky 13th Friday :)
I have small question for you concerning the phrase the other end.

I had these two sentences:
The first group, referred to as weak collocations....
The other end is unique collocations....  

But to be parallel,  I think I need to change the first phrase "the first group". What do you think I can say- the first end seems a bit strange. 

13 Feb 2015      

yanogator
United States

The other end of what? I have a feeling that "the other end" is the problem here. Please provide the situation here, so we can see what the "end" is.

Bruce 

13 Feb 2015     

Zora
Canada

"the other end" is not really used like that. The phrase means simply - the opposite end/side of a place or thing. 

"The other end of the house is spacious. It �s not narrow like this part."

"Meet me at the other end of the shopping mall."

"At the other end of the street is a funny lamp post."

I think you need to use "The other group" in the sentence "The other end is unique..." 

13 Feb 2015     

ironik
Australia

I see the problem, thanks a lot, Bruce and Zora!
Do you think these sentences are better or do they still sound strange? This is my text:

"It is also necessary to classify collocations in terms of meaning, especially in terms of flexibility (Thornbury, 2002). Lewis (2000), on the other hand, suggests strength is the key word while classifying collocations. I will try to combine and classify them in four groups:

i. At one end of the spectrum, we have weak (or flexible) collocations, which comprise the largest group. It is possible to form many combinations with this group of words. Commonly used adjectives + nouns particularly belong to this group. Some examples are in the table below (Carter, 2011):

big/enormous/large ->

house/lorry/cup

fast/shiny/expensive ->

car/motorbike/aeroplane

ii. At the other end, there are unique (or fixed) collocations, which allow nearly no other combinations. To whisk an egg or foot the bill are some examples of unique collocations as there are few words which collocate with egg or bill. "

14 Feb 2015     

yanogator
United States

Well, that �s a little better, but these really aren �t opposite ends of a spectrum. As I see it, they are the only two options, so there isn �t a spectrum for them to be the ends of. Also, I can think of a number of words that collocate with egg, and with bill, so they aren �t really unique.

whisk an egg
boil an egg
scramble an egg
break an egg
fry an egg
lay an egg
cook an egg
crack an egg
gather the eggs
 throw an egg
and many more.

Bruce 

14 Feb 2015     

ironik
Australia

Thank you, Bruce, your comment was enlightening :)
I think I should change it to the other group, then.
You �re quite right about "To whisk an egg", it was Lewis �s example of a unique collocation actually. Maybe "foot the bill" or "shrug your shoulder" will fit better because another author says
"We cannot imagine footing the invoice, or footing the
coffee. Similarly, we shrug our shoulders, but no other part of our anatomy"
Thanks again! 

15 Feb 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, that �s right, except that Lewis said that there weren �t many collocations with "bill" not with "foot", which is wrong.

Bruce 

15 Feb 2015