Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Recomendation    

Recomendation

sugarpasa
Turkey

Recomendation

Hi dear colleagues,

I think I �m in shot of ideas or not in a right mood today that I can not come up with right techniques to teach some bunch of vocabulary.I tried to iterate through first, unluckly failed to attract std �s attention ,then tried some drilling section ,again failure lurk me all through.Does anyone kindly tell me their ideas of teaching unrelated  vocabulary.I am open to all ideas.I don �t have multimedia resources where I have to work.

Many Thanks in advance.

16 Feb 2015      

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

What �s the age of the children? and give the example of the vocabulary, please

16 Feb 2015     

isabelle99
Monaco

Flashcards ( many things to do with them), mimes, objects representing the words or eluding to it (ex: a ruler to symbolize Maths)... If you tell us the age of your puppils and the vocabulary, I could see if I �ve got material for you.

16 Feb 2015     

sugarpasa
Turkey

Hi isabella ,

They are over 12 years old pupils.As for the vocabulary area,it encompasses wide range of vocabulary with limited number of words -50 at most-.but here I am trying to imply the difficulty of teaching some unrelated vocabulary to kids like readings and worksheets..

Thanks

16 Feb 2015     

lidoca44
Mexico

A crossword could it. Or you can try by making a jeopardy.

16 Feb 2015     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Hello,

My studets who are over 11 like team games in both gramar and vocabulary! They always fancy to play because they unite them, they acquire a lot through these games. Try and see the results!!!

Cheers,

Didar 

16 Feb 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Could you use a pictionary that matches the picture to it �s name?

17 Feb 2015     

strngnbtful
United States

Game: Objective is to gain the most points. 

Presentation technique: Introduce vocabulary in small groups. Each small group gets 5 words (for example). They have 5 definitions that accompany on separate pieces of paper and must work together to guess which words they think match up with the definitions. Groups are competing for the most correct guesses.The correct answers are revealed to each small group (remember each group has different words).

Practice: The groups spend some time trying to remember each of the 5 word definition. A good technique for this would have them spend time helping each other guess the word by reading out the definition to each other (and extension activity can be to have them try and rephrase the definitions and have their partners guess them). 

Practice plus: Students then exchange word groups with another group. They take turns reading the words to the opposite group. Groups must give correct definitions for the words on paper (to be checked by you) in order to get a point. (Do not reveal the definitions to the group reading out the words, because they will work with those words next.)

¤¤The game will become competitive because of the points being given. (If points aren �t enough, give an incentive like for each word they get correctly, they don �t have it as homework).  

Performance: As a final test of their skills (before doing the reading assignment) you can play Jeopardy as lidoca said. It is always a hit with young adults. Keep them in their groups and allow it to be an extra way to score points. Setting this up without multimedia should be simple enough. Just write the words on the back of index cards or paper and tape them up on a board with points (according to difficulty) on the outer side of the card. 

Hope you like it!  

17 Feb 2015     

sugarpasa
Turkey

Thank you all for your replies.

17 Feb 2015