Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Still struggling with participles    

Still struggling with participles

yetigumboots
Germany

Still struggling with participles

Hia Guys,

I know I have asked this question before, but I am still struggling when it comes to teaching participles. Present participle, past participle and the difference between gerunds and participles. 

I need some kind of structure so I can easily explain the differences. Can anyone help ??  
Thank you so much for any help.

Yeti x 

17 Feb 2015      

Peter Hardy
Australia

The first type of participle is the present participle. The present participle is often referred to as the �-ing � form of the verb.

• The sun was shining so I went for a walk.
  • The man speaking English is our teacher.

It is often confused with the gerund which is also casually referred to as the �ing � form of the verb. (See below)

Past participles is the third form of a verb, assuming we learn verbs (especially the irregular verbs) in �V1 base, V2 Past, V3 Past Participle.

He has flown to Chicago twice.

That man has lost his keys.

The gerund form of the verb is the �ing � form of the verb. Gerunds are verbs that are used as nouns. In other words, by adding �ing � to any verb you can change that verb into a noun. Gerunds are often used at the beginning of sentences when focusing on activity as the subject of conversation.

Playing tennis is good for your health, and good fun!

Listening 10 minutes a day to English will help you improve your understanding of the language.

Hope this helps. Peter

18 Feb 2015     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thank you Peter. It is a bit clearer now.. 

18 Feb 2015