Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Positions in school administration    

Positions in school administration

graphite
Malaysia

Positions in school administration

What are the various positions in a school administration, and how do they differ in British and American English?

I was under the impression that the British use Principal and Deputy Principal, whilst in AmE it �s usually Principal and Vice Principal, but I may be wrong since today I saw a US news report talking about an Assistant Principal.

Any thoughts are appreciated. :)

17 Feb 2015      

Yolandaprieto
Spain

In British English, I have always heard Head Master/Mistress and Head of Studies.

Yolanda

18 Feb 2015     

FrauSue
France

Most British secondary schools I have been in use Headmaster/Headmistress/Headteacher and Deputy Head.

18 Feb 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

We have a headteacher, a deputy head and then an assortment of assistant heads. When you move to academy status, which many schools are doing, this can then change to having a principal and from what I can gather, the role is slightly different to headteacher. This is in Britain.

18 Feb 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, in the US, both vice principal and assistant principal are used. I think vice principal is still more common,but I �m not sure of that.

Bruce 

18 Feb 2015